It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Expected behavior with version control when offline?

Eric Lee (1462412) | asked Feb 06 '08, 5:05 p.m.
Hey guys,

As an experiment, I shutdown my Jazz server and made a few changes to a file that I have under version control.

I could see my changes pile up under a 'unresolved changes' node in my pending changes window. That was a pleasant surprise.

However, I did get a few error dialog boxes that said no server was present.

As soon as I started my server backup, I chose 'checkin-all' in the unresolved node and everything was fine.

It seems like a single dialog box with a 'do you want to work offline' message would be a more graceful experience and make it seem like being offline wasn't necessary a problem.

Thanks,

Eric.

3 answers

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Feb 06 '08, 10:05 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Any dialog you get when the server cannot be contacted and you didn't manually run an action is a bug, please report them.

What I mean by "manually run" is that it's acceptable that if you run the deliver action that instead of failing silently it reminds you that the server is not accessible.

And yes, this is the offline experience you'll get with Jazz SCM for 1.0. You can make changes while disconnected and simply check-in when connected again.

Jean-Michel
Jazz Source Control Team

permanent link
Eric Lee (1462412) | answered Feb 07 '08, 12:34 a.m.
OK sounds good, I'll double-check, but I think all I did to generate those dialog was save my file. That is a manual operation of course, but I would think based on your explanation that that should not have generated a dialog. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Eric.

permanent link
Eric Lee (1462412) | answered Feb 07 '08, 1:38 a.m.
Odd, when I tried this time I didn't get any dialogs when I tried to save. I might have been mistaken the first time and did something else (i.e. a deliver) to trigger the dialogs. Apologies for the false alarm, it looks like the behaviour is as expected.

Thanks,

Eric.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.