It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

connecting BF to RTC

Tom Lageson (16263) | asked Dec 21 '09, 3:12 p.m.
I have installed the necessary components on both BF 7.1.1.2 and RTC 2.002M2 to test using BF as a build engine for RTC.

I get the following message:
CRRTC3507W: Warning: No engine participant found for build configuration element "Rational Build Forge".

One thing I can't find in the documentation or on jazz.net is the definition of a Build Engine using BF rather than JBE.

The Build Definition expects a RTC Build Engine to be referenced. But I don't see how to setup a BF Build Engine in RTC.

Please help.

- Tom

16 answers

permanent link
Will Chang (11) | answered Nov 18 '10, 4:44 a.m.
We are using Rational Team Concert 2.0 I20090618-1753.

I can get the project list from build forge. But can not find the BF engine.

Since I can get the BF projects list, I think I have installed the "Rational Team Concert 2.x Server Extension" correctly. But why I can not find the BF engine?

Anything I missed? Should I upgrade the RTC to the latest version? Thanks for your help.

Rational Team Concert 2.0 I20090618-1753.
BuildForge Agent v7.1.1.0-0-0022
Redhat Linux 5

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Nov 18 '10, 8:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Do you have multiple project areas? In RTC 2.0.0.x, the Build Forge engine only gets created ONCE for the entire RTC instance. Therefore, if it gets created in one project area it won't be visible in other project areas, but is still usable from an assocition with Build Def standpoint. If it does not show up on the list at all in the association section, then you can try to create it, but make sure the name is "RationalBuildForgeConnector". It must be that name.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Pete
BF/Team Build Development

Since I can get the BF projects list, I think I have installed the "Rational Team Concert 2.x Server Extension" correctly. But why I can not find the BF engine?

Anything I missed? Should I upgrade the RTC to the latest version? Thanks for your help.

Redhat Linux 5

permanent link
Will Chang (11) | answered Nov 19 '10, 2:40 a.m.
Thanks very much.

I created "RationalBuildForgeConnector" manually. And it works now.

Do you have multiple project areas? In RTC 2.0.0.x, the Build Forge engine only gets created ONCE for the entire RTC instance. Therefore, if it gets created in one project area it won't be visible in other project areas, but is still usable from an assocition with Build Def standpoint. If it does not show up on the list at all in the association section, then you can try to create it, but make sure the name is "RationalBuildForgeConnector". It must be that name.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Pete

Redhat Linux 5

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Nov 19 '10, 9:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
RTC 3.0 changes the way engines are handled. You can create multiple Build Forge engines (there's not a singleton that has a hard-coded name). The Build Engine has all of the connection information so that you don't have to re-enter all of that in the build definition. You can associate multiple Build Forge engines with a single build definition in case you have a clustered console. Lots of good stuff coming.

Regards,
Pete

Thanks very much.

I created "RationalBuildForgeConnector" manually. And it works now.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Pete

Redhat Linux 5

permanent link
frank malin (3287) | answered Jul 09 '11, 5:38 p.m.
I have read a couple of posts about the message on earlier versions of RTC. But have not read similar to the problem which I am seeing.

I am using RTC 3.0 ifix 1. I have downloaded the linux build system for RTC.

I've select the Rational Build Agent on the BuildEngine configuration on the RTC server. And on the build machine, I only see on choice for a build agent : rh9-bfagent-7.1.1.4-0-0011.rpm rhel5-bfagent-7.1.1.4-0-0011.rpm

I install the rhel 5, and things are good.

I configure a BuildDef for the Build Engine: Command Line - Rational Build Agent (w/ Jazz repository).

I am able to run the build, with no errors, but I see these warnings in the logs:

2011-07-09 14:14:18 Fetching files to fetch destination "/build/BPMx" ...
2011-07-09 14:15:12 CRRTC3507W: Warning: No engine participant found for build configuration element "Build Command Line".
2011-07-09 14:15:12 CRRTC3507W: Warning: No engine participant found for build configuration element "Rational Build Agent Element".
2011-07-09 14:15:12 CRRTC3507W: Warning: No engine participant found for post_build configuration element "Post-Build Command line".

While I have no real work being done in the pre-build command and post build command line (other than an echo), I suspect that there is something in the configuration which I am missing.

BTW, I am happy with the configuation, and the agent since it allows me to submit build request to a machine without the JBE in a running state.

thanks
Frank M

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Jul 09 '11, 10:02 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have read a couple of posts about the message on earlier versions of RTC. But have not read similar to the problem which I am seeing.

I am using RTC 3.0 ifix 1. I have downloaded the linux build system for RTC.

I've select the Rational Build Agent on the BuildEngine configuration on the RTC server. And on the build machine, I only see on choice for a build agent : rh9-bfagent-7.1.1.4-0-0011.rpm rhel5-bfagent-7.1.1.4-0-0011.rpm

I install the rhel 5, and things are good.

I configure a BuildDef for the Build Engine: Command Line - Rational Build Agent (w/ Jazz repository).

I am able to run the build, with no errors, but I see these warnings in the logs:

2011-07-09 14:14:18 Fetching files to fetch destination "/build/BPMx" ...
2011-07-09 14:15:12 CRRTC3507W: Warning: No engine participant found for build configuration element "Build Command Line".
2011-07-09 14:15:12 CRRTC3507W: Warning: No engine participant found for build configuration element "Rational Build Agent Element".
2011-07-09 14:15:12 CRRTC3507W: Warning: No engine participant found for post_build configuration element "Post-Build Command line".

While I have no real work being done in the pre-build command and post build command line (other than an echo), I suspect that there is something in the configuration which I am missing.

BTW, I am happy with the configuation, and the agent since it allows me to submit build request to a machine without the JBE in a running state.

thanks
Frank M

Hi Frank,

I'm guessing that you've started the JBE with the engineId of the build engine that you created as a Rational Build Agent type. If this is the case, it would be good to either stop the JBE (since it's really not doing anything for you if the builds are to be running through the build agent) or to start the JBE with an engineId of an engine that is of the Jazz Build Engine type.

Brent Ulbricht
RTC Build Lead

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.