It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Burndown chart for curr iteration blank (prev iteration ok)

Tim Mulligan (22633214) | asked Dec 14 '09, 4:19 p.m.
The Burndown chart for our current iteration is blank (not rendering). The previous iteration (recently completed) was fine. There are 284 work items assigned to the current iteration and we verified they have estimates specified.

We found the help text shown below and followed the instructions ("Update all snapshot data") but did not help.

Can someone please help us?

Burndown
No work items with estimates specified were found.
Why did this happen?
This report presents historical data from the data warehouse. This data is collected by an automated snapshot task once a day around midnight. It is possible that this chart is empty because the task has not had a chance to run yet.
To run the snapshot task manually, go to the web interface. Ensure your contributor has the "JazzDWAdmins" repository permission, and select the "Administer Data Warehouse" link in the left navigation panel. Select the "Update all snapshot data" button. After the task has completed, try viewing this report again.
It is also possible that the selected parameters did not return any results from the data warehouse.

Thanks,
Tim

22 answers

permanent link
Tim Mulligan (22633214) | answered Dec 17 '09, 1:40 p.m.
I found repotools.bat in "server" directory of the Jazz Team Server installation (I had previously searched for repotools.exe). Below is help text for -addTables option. I am planning to run the following command. I have verified that our teamserver.properties file exists in that location.

repotools -addTables teamserver.properties=conf/jazz/teamserver.properties

Help text:
F:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server>repotools -h
Repo Tools
Rational Team Concert, Version 2.0.0.2 RC1 (I20091120-1117)
Jazz Foundation - Jazz Team Server, Version 1.0.0.2 RC2 (I20091120-1117)
Rational Jazz Team Server - Enterprise
Usage:
-addTables --Add database tables.
teamserver.properties=conf/jazz/teamserver.properties] --Path to the teamserver.properties file.
--Path to the log file.

permanent link
Tim Mulligan (22633214) | answered Dec 17 '09, 4:12 p.m.
Bad news. I stopped the RTC Jazz Server, ran the command (repotools -addTables), restarted the RTC Jazz Server, then forced an "Update All Snapshot Data" and unfortunately still getting same error as before. Below is screen output from when I ran the repotools command. Does anything look out of the ordinary?

F:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server>server.shutdown.bat
Using CATALINA_BASE: F:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: F:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: F:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\temp
Using JRE_HOME: F:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\jre

F:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server>repotools -addTables teamserver.properties=conf/jazz/teamserver.properties
Repo Tools
Rational Team Concert, Version 2.0.0.2 RC1 (I20091120-1117)
Jazz Foundation - Jazz Team Server, Version 1.0.0.2 RC2 (I20091120-1117)
Rational Jazz Team Server - Enterprise
CRJAZ1363I Loading configuration from "file:conf/jazz/teamserver.properties".
CRJAZ1365I Attempting Initial Database Connection Using Db Name/Location: thin:xxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxx@localhost:1521/jazzdb
CRJAZ1364I Initial database connection successful
Db Product Name: Oracle
Db Product Version: Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options
Db URL: jdbc:oracle:thin:jazzDBuser/Thisbuds4u@localhost:1521/jazzdb
Jdbc Driver Name: Oracle JDBC driver
Jdbc Driver Version: 10.2.0.1.0
CRJAZ8192I: Fulltext Index Location: F:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\
file:\f:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\workitemindex\fulltext_index
CRJAZ8190E: The fulltext index location property (indexLocation) should point to an absolute directory but is currently set to 'file:///f:/Program Files/IBM/Jaz
zTeamServer/server/workitemindex'
The user "ADMIN" has logged in to the database "thin:xxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxx@localhost:1521/jazzdb".
Adding tables to the database "thin:xxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxx@localhost:1521/jazzdb".
Database tables were added successfully.
The user "ADMIN" has logged out of the database "thin:xxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxx@localhost:1521/jazzdb".

F:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server>server.startup.bat
Using CATALINA_BASE: F:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: F:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: F:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\temp
Using JRE_HOME: F:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\jre

Should we wait until tomorrow to see if the snapshot data gets fully processed? Previously you had mentioned we may need to deploy 2.0.0.2 GA to fully resolve this issue. Is the GA release available as I only see 2.0.0.2 RC2 as the latest available release. Thanks again for your continued help.

permanent link
Tim Mulligan (22633214) | answered Dec 17 '09, 4:31 p.m.
One addition. While the "Burndown" and "Burnup" reports still do not work (getting same error as before), the "Chart" tab associated with the current iteration Plan (Open Plan) now displays the graph properly.

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Dec 17 '09, 8:54 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Timothy,
Does your iteration plan display the Burndown report?
If yes can you please try displaying the Burndown report using the reports WEB or Eclipse clients. This time instead of using the "My Team Areas" and "Current Iterations" parameter values, uncheck those and select your team areas and the iteration that is current from the list of actual parameter values.

Can you also re-try the Open vs Closed report and see if it displays some values. If it does, the report will tell you about the last successful snapshot time in the "About this report" section.

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Dec 18 '09, 10:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Timothy, how is your project area setup?
Does it have team areas?
Do you belong to any team areas or do you belong to just the project area?

I trying to narrow down the combination of parameter values that is causing this.

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Dec 18 '09, 1:01 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I attached 4 report design files to the following work item:

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=102111

I think those may fix the problem.

Can you please deploy those to your server and let me know if they fix the problem.

Here are the steps.

1) Save the four attachments somewhere on your hard disk
2) Open the Team Artifacts Navigator
3) Expand the Reports node
4) Expand the Report Template node
5) Right click the report template named Burndown and select "Properties"
6) Click the Browse button near the File path field.
7) Locate the downloaded file named "Burdown.rptdesign" and click Open.
8) Click OK. This will update the report template in the server with the uploaded report design.
9) if the above fixes the issue with the Burndown report, please repeat for each of: Burnup, Micro Burndown and Micro Burnup.

permanent link
Tim Mulligan (22633214) | answered Dec 18 '09, 1:28 p.m.
Thank you for your continued support. Yes, when I Open the current iteration plan in my Eclipse client and then look it "Charts" tab, the Burndown graph is now displaying properly whereas before it did not (prior to running repotools -addTables command).

The Burndown report (under Reports->Shared Reports->Work Items) is now working if I change the report parameters as you suggested (instead of using "My Team Areas" and "Current Iteration", uncheck those and select your team areas and the iteration that is current from the list of actual parameter values).

Likewise the 'Open vs Closed Work Items' as well as 'Open Work Items by Type' reports are now working if I change the report parameters (uncheck the boxes and select specific values within lists).

Last Data Snapshot: Dec 18, 2009 12:00:11 AM EST

It seems the check boxes (My Team Areas and Current Iteration) are broke.

It also seems we lost the Burnup report template (no longer appears in list). I suspect that we probably need to redeploy this new template again after running the 'repotools -addTables' command?

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Dec 18 '09, 8:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Timothy, please try updating the 4 report templates with the 4 report designs I attached to the work item (as I suggested above). That should fix the "My Team Areas" issue. The Burnup report should be there somewhere. When you run the "Deploy new templates" action you probably chose to deploy those to some team area which is filtered out by your team artifacts navigator filter settings. Also after deploying a template make sure you create a report out of it. The WEB UI only shows reports but does not show report templates (In 3.0, our WEB UI will have all the features of the Eclispe UI).

permanent link
Tim Mulligan (22633214) | answered Dec 21 '09, 5:19 p.m.
I uploaded the new Burndown.rptdesign following your instructions. The Burndown report still results with "No work items with estimates specified were found" until I unchecked the "My Team Areas" checkbox and select a specific team. I only belong to Project Area (as Administrator). I do not belong to team area. Note: this time I left the "Current Iteration" box checked so the issue is definitely related to "My Team Areas" checkbox and I think my membership.

I haven't uploaded the other 3 report templates yet as I wanted to get your reaction to the above first.

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Dec 21 '09, 6:13 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Well, if you are only a member of the project area and there are no work items assigned to the project area directly, then what you are seeing is correct. The report designs are only supposed to fix the exception which I guess they do fix. So go ahead and deploy the other three. Thanks for catching this corner case.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.