It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[closed] Counting requirement that links to multiple artifacts

kaman kwok (151) | asked Mar 07 '23, 10:51 p.m.
closed Mar 20 '23, 5:20 a.m. by David Honey (1.8k17)

I’m using DOORS next report builder to generate a report. I have three type of requirement. DSM requirement, PS requirement, Drawing list module. Where DSM requirement have links to several PS requirements or/and drawing list modules. The links is in a many to many relationship.

After I generate a report to count the number of DSM requirement have links to PS requirement and drawing list modules. The report showed up the number of DSM requirement that links to PS requirement and drawing list modules respectively. 

however I don't know how many DSM requirement have both links to PS requirement and drawing list module

I have tried to set link relationship from optional to required, but it is still not working for counting. 

How to resolve it in JRS? 

https://imgur.com/a/lnJotai

The question has been closed for the following reason: "The question is answered, right answer was accepted" by davidhoney Mar 20 '23, 5:20 a.m.

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Honey (1.8k17) | answered Mar 09 '23, 4:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It works for me. Here's is an example using work items:

In that example, I want to count the number child tasks (Task) of a user story, and the number of parents (Parent Work Item). In the format tab, I selected a count by URL for Task, and again for Parent Work Item:

Here is an excerpt of the results:

This shows that 521004 has 2 child tasks and no parents, and that 521042 has 1 child task and 1 parent work item.

kaman kwok selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
kaman kwok commented Mar 09 '23, 9:31 p.m. | edited Mar 09 '23, 9:41 p.m.

Thanks for your example. If I use your case, image you have very laugh amount of "User Story" , 

How to show the counting number of User Story. that have link to both task and parent. 

The table should be something like here below: 

| Link Target      | number of User story| 
|Task                 | 6
|Parent              | 7
|Task & Parent  | 2

David Honey commented Mar 10 '23, 6:20 a.m.
I do not understand your example output.

In my example:

• For each user story that has a child task, there will be a row for that specific user story that has a non-zero count of the number of child tasks for that specific user story.
  • For each user story that has a parent, there will be a row for that specific user story that has a non-zero count of the parents for that specific user story.
If a specific work item has 6 tasks and 7 parents, these will be disjoint. In other words, a work item counted in the Number of tasks column will not be counted in the Number of Parents column. A given work item contributes to the count in either the Number of tasks column or the Number of Parents column, but never both.

David Honey commented Mar 10 '23, 6:20 a.m. | edited Mar 10 '23, 6:21 a.m.

Please start off by defining some example data in a table with 3 rows. The first column should be DSM requirement id. The second column should be the ids of the PS requirements that are linked to from that DSM requirement. The third column should be the ids of the Drawing List Modules linked to from that DSM requirement.Since a requirement cannot be both a PS Requirement and a Drawing List Module, the same id cannot appear in column 2 and column 3 of any single row.

Then, having defined the dataset being queried against, provide an example of the report output you are trying to achieve.

One other answer

permanent link
David Honey (1.8k17) | answered Mar 08 '23, 4:33 a.m.

From your referenced screenshot, it looks like you are counting the number of DSM Requirements. Instead, try adding a column to count the number of PS Requirements, and a separate column that counts the number of Drawing List Modules.

Comments
kaman kwok commented Mar 09 '23, 1:53 a.m.

I have tried your suggestion before, however, it only show "How many PS Requirements have link to DSM Requirement" and ""How many Drawing List Modules have link to DSM Requirement"