It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I install the Jazz Team Server as a Windows Service?

William Roberts (1122) | asked Jan 22 '08, 10:42 a.m.
I've downloaded the 1.0Beta2a server and installed it successfully (on Windows Server 2003, as it happens), but I'd like to get away from having to be logged in order to have the server running.

Is it possible to run the Jazz Team Server as a Windows service (or perhaps several services), so that it is started automatically when the machine is booted?

What I have in mind is something similar to this description of how to do it for a Subversion server:

http://subversion.open.collab.net/articles/svnserve-service.htm

I notice that both the Linux and Windows instructions call for manual starting of the server - surely you've moved to the point where people depend on the server running...!?

William Roberts

12 answers

permanent link
Christophe Elek (2.9k13021) | answered Jan 22 '08, 10:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
william.roberts@symbian-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (w_t_roberts) wrote in
news:fn537f$ojl$1@localhost.localdomain:

Is it possible to run the Jazz Team Server as a Windows service

I know that , if you install Jazz server on top of IBM WebSphere
Application server then you can start it as a service, as the application
server can run as a service

I am not sure about tomcat, but I suppose it is feasible to create a
service and pass the batch file...

Did you try or are you looking for a document that owuld explain how to do
it in tomcat ?

--
Christophe Elek
Serviceability Architect
IBM Software Group - Rational

permanent link
William Roberts (1122) | answered Jan 23 '08, 12:10 p.m.
I haven't tried anything yet, but thanks for the Websphere suggestion - I'll see if I can use that.

It's also been suggested that I could use a "Scheduled Task", set to run at system startup.

Either way, I'll report back, as I think this is information which people setting up a server in anger would want to know.

permanent link
Christophe Elek (2.9k13021) | answered Jan 24 '08, 6:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
william.roberts@symbian-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (w_t_roberts) wrote in
news:fn7ss6$vce$1@localhost.localdomain:

Either way, I'll report back, as I think this is information which
people setting up a server in anger would want to know.

Yes please let us know how it goes :) that will be great info :)
Thanks

--
Christophe Elek
Serviceability Architect
IBM Software Group - Rational

permanent link
Harleen Sahni (6642) | answered Jan 24 '08, 4:45 p.m.
I've successfully been running Jazz on Tomcat as a windows service for a while now.

This is the procedure I followed for Beta2:

1. Start Jazz for the first time with the startup.bat. (Just in case there is any special stuff that happens on the first execution)
2. shutdown using the shutdown script.
3. in a command prompt, cd to the jazz\server\tomcat\bin, and install tomcat as service by issuing the command: server.bat install tomcat5
4. Configure the parameters for tomcat service by launching tomcat5w.exe in the jazz\server\tomcat\bin directory.
4.1. Set startup to automatic (make sure it sets this, it seems to revert on dialog OK sometimes).
4.2. Go to the logging Tab and set the log path to: D:\jazz\server\tomcat\logs (or whatever your jazz path is)
4.3. Go to the java tab, unselect default, and point it to the jazz jvm (D:\jazz\server\win32\ibm-java2-i386-50\jre\bin\j9vm\jvm.dll)
4.4. The java classpath should be D:\jazz\server\tomcat\bin\bootstrap.jar
4.5. Set the java options as follows (some of these were already there):
-Dcatalina.base=D:\jazz\server\tomcat
-Dcatalina.home=D:\jazz\server\tomcat
-Dcatalina.tmpdir=D:\jazz\server\tomcat\temp
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=D:\jazz\server\tomcat\common\endorsed
-Djava.io.tmpdir=D:\jazz\server\tomcat\temp
-Dcom.ibm.team.server.configURL=file:///d:/jazz/server/teamserver.properties
-Dlog4j.configuration=file:///d:/jazz/server/log4j.properties
4.6. Adjust the memory settings as you need.
4.7. Set the the startup and shutdown paths on the respective tabs to: d:\jazz\serverThat should work.

permanent link
William Roberts (1122) | answered Jan 25 '08, 12:01 p.m.
Adding a scheduled task to run the server.startup.bat file worked OK, but it will cause problems later if I need to start and stop the server without rebooting the machine.

Thanks for the tip on setting up tomcat as a service - I will definitely look at that as a "phase 2" improvement.

William Roberts

permanent link
Jens Lehmann (11) | answered Jan 30 '08, 2:38 p.m.
Hi,

hsahni, thanks for your guide, it worked fine for me.

I've got a tiny addition.

4. Configure the parameters for tomcat service by launching tomcat5w.exe in the jazz\server\tomcat\bin directory.

I decided to name my service something like 'tomcat5jazz' and i struggled to get tomcat5w.exe running. The solution is simply to copy/rename the tomcat5w.exe to 'tomcat5jazzw.exe' and it worked fine. This should be the same in other OSses.

Cheers,
Jens

permanent link
Harleen Sahni (6642) | answered Jan 30 '08, 5:02 p.m.

I've got a tiny addition.

I have an addition also. I just followed the steps again recently, and the only way I could get the tomcat service set to startup automatically was through the windows services administration console. If I tried setting it through the tomcat5w.exe, it would always revert.

-Harleen

permanent link
Jens Lehmann (11) | answered Jan 30 '08, 11:09 p.m.
I faced similar an issue too. But I identified my firewall (agnitum outpost) to be guilty. It blocks applications from manipulating risky registry branches.

Jens

permanent link
carlos roberto (21443030) | answered Feb 29 '08, 8:38 a.m.
I had success installing Jazz as a Windows Service but when I user the browser to see the Status Summary I have this message in Database Status
The database is responding, but is not configured to contain Jazz.
and in Service Error Summary I have a lot of things like
com.ibm.team.analysis.common.service.IAnalysisService
The service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.rdb.IDatabaseStateService" was found, but the requested filter "(databaseExists=true)" did not match
com.ibm.team.apt.common.resource.IResourcePlanningService
The service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.rdb.IDatabaseStateService" was found, but the requested filter "(databaseExists=true)" did not match
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.rcp.IIterationPlanService

When I start Jazz by DOS command line it works fine even when I access it from a different machine. Looks like something with configuration. The machine is a XP SP2 running as a VM with VMWare.
Any idea?

permanent link
Namit Pande (6311319) | answered Apr 18 '08, 10:02 a.m.
I am having similar issue. Jazz web admin ui is throwing erros while the windows service is up and running. carlosl, did you get any solution to the problem you were having?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.