It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In DN (DNG) and ETM (RQM), how do I properly baseline my design before executing tests?

Carl Lewis (253) | asked Oct 25 '22, 7:39 a.m.

Hello,

I'm currently trying to use DN 7.0.2 and ETM 7.0.2 together with "simple" baselines and struggling to understand how these baselines can be used effectively. I've been using DN for years but am new to ETM/RQM. I've created a toy "design" comprising a couple of requirements in DN and a couple of test cases in ETM. What I want is to execute the tests against a "baseline" of the design, so that when I look back at the execution records, I know exactly what requirements and test cases they were executed against.

But the baselines provided by DN and ETM don't give me that. Within ETM I can only baseline everything in ETM. So I have to create the execution record first and then baseline it so the test case it refers to is immutable (this already seems a strange approach to me). But even having done so the traceability from test case to requirement is not aware of the baseline in DN, so if I update the requirement, then my baselined execution record in ETM will show traceability to the new version of the requirement, even though it was executed and baselined against the old version of the requirement.

This is unexpected and seems to greatly reduce the benefit of baselines in ETM. Am I missing something? I'm aware there is a "full" configuration management setting that allows the use of streams, components, and "global" configurations in addition to baselines, but I'm told by the administrator of our system this requires a particular setup that hasn't been implemented yet, so I haven't been able to try it out.

Is what I'm trying to do possible with "simple" baselines? If not, will "full" configuration management allow me to do it?

Thanks,
Carl

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Honey (1.8k17) | answered Oct 25 '22, 8:55 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If you want to "tie togther" baselines that you create across DN and ETM, you need to enable full configuration management and use global configurations.

Carl Lewis selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.