It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Fetching UUID dynamically on Properties file

Manisha Nair (11) | asked May 30 '22, 4:57 a.m.

In our process we use properties file (Notepad)for saving the UUID of the particular project area

and the workitem unique id's are saved for the database connection. 1 web application locates the properties file with the uuid and the values
are fetched from the database by the unique id's of the workitems. It is important to update or change the uuid in the properties file manually everytime we
change the project area we want to fetch the data from. Need suggestions if there is a possibility to fetch this "uuid" dynamically without having to change it 
manually. Below is the sample of the properties file that is used for database connection. Will really appreciate a positive response.

//login=Testxxxxxxxx
//password=Testxxxxxxxx
//projectID = _xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Alphanumeric project ID also the UUID)
//projectAreaName=Sample Project Area1

2 answers

permanent link
David Honey (1.8k17) | answered May 30 '22, 5:37 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'm not sure what question you are asking. If you are asking how can you determine the UUID of a project area, then you might want to look at the foundation process REST API at https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ProcessAuthoringRestApi.

Comments
Manisha Nair commented May 30 '22, 7:13 a.m.

Thanks for sharing the document, this is how we do it right now. We have various project areas with different project id's(UUID's) so each time we work on a different project area we have either change the project area name and the ID manually or make 2 or 3 separate files to work accordingly. I am looking for a way if there is any to dynamically fetch the UUID and the project area name.

I hope I have clarified the question if not then please feel free to ask more about it.  

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 30 '22, 7:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I do not know why you need the UUID. 

If you have a project area name, it is possible to compute/look up the UUID using the various APIs. David mentions one API, there is another one, the plain Java client libraries can be used as well. It really depends which APIs you use at the moment and what you want to do and why, to understand the best path forward.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.