It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to integrate Python based OpenSocial widgets

khalid INU (334) | asked Apr 04 '22, 11:50 a.m.

Helllo, 

Please I would like to know if it's possible to integrate python based OpenSocial widgets to the jazz server in IBM REQ engineering Doors Next?

Thank you

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 05 '22, 2:51 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I would assume the open social widgets specification does not determine which implementation language/environment is used. From the perspective of the Jazz tools the gadget is just an URL and accessing the URL provides the data back according to the open social gadget specification. So it does not matter how the implementation is done and where it is hosted. You will however have to make sure SSL is set up correctly and might need to maintain whitelists. The URLs must be  accessible to the Jazz Server i.e. by a fully qualified host name.

1. No, I do not have an example. 
  2. https://github.com/cslab/pyoslc/ is an OSLC based framework that is able to communicate with ELM and uses Python and Flask to implement the server. 

Comments
khalid INU commented Apr 05 '22, 11:09 a.m.

Thank you Ralph for the detailed answer 

permanent link
Ian Barnard (1.9k613) | answered Apr 05 '22, 4:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 05 '22, 4:58 a.m.

OpenSocial widgets run in your browser, using Javascript. I guess there might be a Python implementation in Javascript... but that sounds quite heavyweight, and you'd have to cover the javascript widget API for DN in Python.

More likely to be succesfull would be to implement a web service in Python, running on a server alongside your DN server and the OpenSocial widget (written in Javascript as usual) could access that. There's an example of a widget accessing a web service in the extensions documentation of examples, e.g. for 7.0.2 https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RMExtensionsUsingExternalWebService702

Comments
khalid INU commented Apr 05 '22, 11:10 a.m.

Thank you Ian for the detailed answer 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.