It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Issue with deleting Artifact Types and Artifact Attributes in DOORS NG 6.0.6

Mary Miller (87125) | asked Oct 01 '19, 3:02 p.m.

Hi,

We are using DOORS NG 6.0.6.

I am having an issue removing Artifact Attributes that were associated with an Artifact Type.  Basically, what I did was the following:

* Artifact Type A has the Artifact Attribute Requirement Number associated with it.  
* I delete Artifact Type A without removing the Requirement Number Artifact Attribute association.
* I attempt to delete the Requirement Number Artifact Attribute.
* I get a message that indicates that I cannot remove Requirement Number since it is associated with an Artifact Type.

I have also attempted to remove an Artifact Type after removing all associate modules and artifacts.  I get an error message that tells me that I cannot remove the Artifact Type because it is associated with an artifact or an Artifact Template.  There are no associated Artifact Templates, and I cannot find any artifacts using the Artifact Type.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Mary

Accepted answer

permanent link
Carol Watson (71016) | answered Oct 01 '19, 3:17 p.m.

Hi Mary,

You have to remove the Attribute from the Artifact Type first, then you can delete the Attribute.  I'm not sure what you do if you've deleted the Artifact Type to which they were applied though.  I wonder if you could recreate the artifact type and fake it out?

Did you remember to check the Base Artifacts folder?  I've gotten caught on that more than once when I thought I'd removed all of the Attribute values... I've never found it to be wrong when it gives you that message and eventually find an artifact with the attribute populated.

It doesn't hurt anything to leave an Attribute that you're not using, although I do try to keep it as clean as I can, which I imagine is what you're doing.

Good luck!
Carol

Mary Miller selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mary Miller commented Oct 02 '19, 9:37 a.m.

Hi Carol,

I tried to fake out the tool right after I posted this as I suspected the problem was as you
indicated.  No dice.  I suspect I did the same thing with the Artifact Type.  

The Artifact Type is not connected to anything in the Basic Artifact folder.

So this problem with the removing the attributes (without disassociating them) is not 
considered a bug?  I suspect I am going to have a lot of users who make this mistake.

Also, is there a way for the system admin to remove attributes if someone makes the mistake I made?

Thanks again!

Mary

Carol Watson commented Oct 02 '19, 9:51 a.m.

Hi Mary,

I normally don't give users the permission to create their own Artifact Types or Attributes, although I have a few exceptions.  They contact me if they need any changes after the initial setup, and I have to say they rarely do.   We spend a fair amount of time deciding on their project configuration at the start, so once they begin working, everything they need is already in place.

There may be an open defect for the orphaned attributes; if there isn't there should be.

Thanks,
Carol

Mary Miller commented Oct 07 '19, 3:39 p.m.

If I had my way, we would do everything you are talking about.  Thanks!  -Mary

One other answer

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243149) | answered Oct 03 '19, 11:03 a.m.
Hi Mary,

If you have deleted the only artifact definition that uses the attribute definition and DNG still does not let you delete the attribute definition then it sounds like a bug.

I sometimes find it difficult to delete attribute types because DNG will tell you that an AttrDef is in use but it won't tell you where.

You have to go through each ArtifactDef one by one to check them all.

What would be useful, I think, would be if DNG showed you a list of the artifact definitions that are using an attribute definition when you select that AttrDef from the AttrDef list on the AttrDef editing page.

Comments
Mary Miller commented Oct 03 '19, 4:01 p.m.

Okay, thank you!  Yes, I think it would be nice if DNG showed us where these different components are being used.  It's kind of painful too root them all out.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.