It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to restrict visibility of Build Definition and Stream

Tanveer Zubair (21213) | asked Feb 28 '19, 12:20 p.m.
DevOps implementation forces me to create multiple stream and build definitions.   Some of the Stream needs to be hidden from the development community.    Also, the build definitions need to be exposed based on the role of the team.
What would be the best way to implement this visibility behavior.

Thanks

One answer

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Mar 01 '19, 3:13 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 01 '19, 3:15 p.m.
Both Streams and Build Definitions can be owned by a Team Area... so you can restrict visibility of that Team Area.
This would prevent the artifacts from showing up in the Team Artifacts view for example.

Streams can be queried for in the UI, so to prevent them being returned, you would use the 'Visibility' property of the stream, and set it either to either the Team Area, or you can also pick an Access Group.

Comments
Tanveer Zubair commented Mar 15 '19, 10:29 a.m.
First, Thanks David for your answer. 
Yes, the stream is working for me based on your instructions, the visibility parameter for the stream works fine.

The build definition doesn't have visibility parameter, but I used the "Project or Team area", it doesn't work for me.  If I use team area value, still it is same as project area. 
FYI.  The team area I used doesn't have the user which I try to hide, but still they can see the build definition(s).

Thanks

David Lafreniere commented Mar 15 '19, 1:53 p.m. | edited Mar 15 '19, 1:56 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Ah yes you are right... it works for Streams but not for builds.
There is the following open enhancement request for that here:

I suppose you could organize your builds into folders based on Team Area... at least will help reduce clutter and keep things organized.

Also, having a build owned by a team area will at least let you control 'write-access' to the build (since that would be governed based on roles in the team area).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.