It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Build Engines and different versions of Jazz Team Server

Peter Turvey (99130) | asked Feb 06 '19, 7:18 a.m.

I have two Jazz Team Servers :”jts_old” is version 6.0.2 and “jts_new” is version 6.0.6.

I have a “build_machine” which has the  RTC – BuildSystem Toolkit v6.0.2.

“jts_old” has got a Build Engine defined as “build_machine_engine”

On my “build_machine” I run the following command to start up the Build Engine.

jbe –repository https://jts_old:9443/ccm -userid <username> -passwordFile C:\RTC_passwords\<password_file>  –engineID build_machine_engine >> C:\RTC_logs\BuildEngine.log

Then I can do builds that are defined in “jts_old”.

I now want to carry on building from “jts_old” but also set up some new builds from “jts_new”.

Will I be able to carry on with my existing “build_machine” and its RTC-BuildSystemToolkit v6.0.2 ?

And have two instances of “jbe” running : one for “jts_old” and the other for “jts_new” ?

Just add a new command e.g.
jbe –repository https://jts_new:9443/ccm -userid <username> -passwordFile C:\RTC_passwords\<password_file>  –engineID build_machine_engine_for_new_server >> C:\RTC_logs\BuildEngine_new.log

Or do I have to have a BuildSystemToolkit v6.0.6 (and a separate build machine) for builds that are defined in  jts_new” (JTS version 6.0.6) ?

Thanks

Peter

Accepted answer

permanent link
Sridevi Sangaiah (59179) | answered Feb 07 '19, 3:18 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Will I be able to carry on with my existing “build_machine” and its RTC-BuildSystemToolkit v6.0.2 ?

And have two instances of “jbe” running : one for “jts_old” and the other for “jts_new” ?

Yon can use RTC-BuildSystemToolkit v6.0.2 for builds that are defined in the newer version of RTC. Though it is possible to run two jbes from the same build machine, it is not recommended for the reasons listed here - https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BuildFAQ#MultipleJBEs.

Peter Turvey selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Feb 08 '19, 3:09 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

In addition, there is a performance penalty using an old JBE, so it is suggested to keep the JBE's up to date. So far I have also not heard a good reason why you would not be able to update to the latest JBE either. 

With respect to running multiple processes of JBE on a machine, you have to start from different working directories as explained in the link above. You can also use the -data parameter when starting JBE to do that, as far as I can tell.

Peter Turvey commented Feb 12 '19, 9:53 a.m.

Thanks for the replies.
There's no good reason why I can't update the Jazz Build Engine apart from the fact that I was being a bit lazy and didn't have a new one yet. So I thought I would just use the version I already had.
Following the advice given here I will set up a new Jazz Build Engine (latest version) on a new Build machine for my new Jazz Team Server.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.