It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Changeset shown bold in History. What does that Mean?

vinitha dsouza (14723135) | asked Oct 01 '18, 2:27 a.m.
edited Oct 01 '18, 2:40 a.m.
Dear Team,

As per IBM Documenation, it is mentioned that Changeset in Bold is the version available in local workspace.

Is this true always?

I have below case, i have 2 workspaces for the same Stream.
Consider File A - in Repo workspace- "Latest" has CS1,CS2,CS3.
Same File A - in Repo Workspace- "NotLatest" has CS1,CS2.

When i see changeset History on Repo workspace" Latest" , My expectation is CS3 is shown as Bold(as per IBM Documention). where as in other workspace CS2 as bold.

When i see the History of file in both the workspaces, CS2 is shown in bold.
What is this behavior? Could you please explain?

Thanks

Comments
vinitha dsouza commented Oct 04 '18, 5:13 a.m.

Any update ?

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Oct 09 '18, 12:54 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please look at:

Basically if the state of the file that you have loaded in your sandbox matches the 'after' state in the change set, then that change set will appear bold in the History view.

Note: This means it's possible to have multiple change sets bold, if they have the same 'after' state for a file (which can happen in merge scenarios [ex when using 'resolve with mine' or 'resolve with proposed'])
vinitha dsouza selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
vinitha dsouza commented Oct 10 '18, 8:27 a.m.
I still dont get, When same file is loaded in 2 different sandboxes and has Changeset differences also. When we see history for the File from 2 sandboxes , History show which is common Changeset. How is that?

if i understand you correctly,
- File A in Sandbox1 has CS1,CS2.
- File A is Sandbox2 has CS1,CS2 and CS3.

When i look at the history, CS2 is shown as Bold. Can you explain? Why is that?
When i see history from File A in "Sandbox1" CS2 is shown bold.
When i see history from File A in "Sandbox2" CS2 is shown bold.=> Expected CS3 is Bold.

Could you please try and throw some light?
"Basically if the state of the file that you have loaded in your sandbox matches the 'after' state in the change set, then that change set will appear bold in the History view." => You say the CS loaded in locally state is compared in the History and whichever changeset matches then it will be marked bold?

David Lafreniere commented Oct 10 '18, 10:11 a.m. | edited Oct 10 '18, 10:11 a.m.
I just want to clarify something.

Q1: Are you saying that from within the SAME RTC Eclipse client instance you have 2 different repository workspaces loaded into 2 different sandbox paths on the same machine? i.e. both repository workspaces are currently shown as loaded (full solid-blue component icon vs an 'empty' component icon) in the same Pending Changes view? Or do you mean you have 2 sandboxes which were loaded from different RTC clients?

Q2: Loaded 'workspace1' has CS1 and CS2 in the component history, and Loaded 'workspace2' has CS1 and CS2 and CS3 in the component history?

vinitha dsouza commented Oct 12 '18, 3:37 a.m.
Q1: Yes 2 Streams => 2 Different Workspace=> Loaded in 2 Sandboxes because one of the stream is variant of other, we have same component but different Content i.e Changesets.
Q2: Sorry for the confusion , in File History.

David Lafreniere commented Oct 12 '18, 11:03 a.m.
Well, I'm going to go ahead and make a claim that this behavior might be explained because there is a defect with the 'bolding' logic. Having the same file loading into 2 different sandboxes from within the same RTC Eclipse client is a rare use case, and my guess is the code just considers the first sandbox it finds with that file loaded in it, and uses that to determine which 'state' the file is in for bolding purposes.
I could be wrong and something else may be going on, but I'm not sure what at the moment. I do suspect everything works fine when the file is loaded into only 1 sandbox though.

Feel free to open a defect against this issue (in which someone will investigate deeper to find the root cause).

David Lafreniere commented Oct 12 '18, 11:12 a.m.
Also Note: There is a History view menu action that is called "Show All in Repository", which shows you every change set in the repository that touched that file (i.e. the file history scoped to a repo context instead of a workspace or stream context).

This is a 'mode' which could potentially be ambiguous when we bold change sets.

Given that 'bold' is supposed to mean that the loaded file matches the same end state as the change set, but in this mode we are not 'scoped' to any specific worksapce/stream, so then should we:
a) Never bold a change set (it might be potentially confusing to not bold if the user expects to see this behavior)
b) Bold potentially multiple change sets because we have the same file loaded multiple times at different states (it might be confusing to see multiple change sets bold, or at least the user would have no way to tell from this view 'where' each file is loaded, which might be fine, as this view is not meant to tell the user anything about 'where' the file is loaded on disk).

vinitha dsouza commented Oct 22 '18, 6:41 a.m.
i have opened a Defect wi for the same, Defect 468565.
Nevertheless to say, thanks for explanation.
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.