It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Create query for work item state returning NullPointException

Kenery Wang (6411524) | asked Jun 19 '18, 11:05 p.m.

Hi Everyone,

I follow the tutorial https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/11/19/using-expressions-for-automation/ to create a work item state query expression as code snippet below:

-----------------------------------------------
IQueryableAttribute stateGroupAttribute = QueryableAttributes.getFactory(IWorkItem.ITEM_TYPE).findAttribute(projectAreaHandle,IWorkItem.STATE_PROPERTY, auditableCommon, monitor);

Expression openStates = new VariableAttributeExpression(stateGroupAttribute, AttributeOperation.NOT_EQUALS, new StatusVariable(IWorkflowInfo.CLOSED_STATES));
-----------------------------------------------

It works correct to filter out work items in Unresolved state group while I test it in Jetty server. But once I deploy the plugin to WAS server then the server console shows the error below indicating that there is a NullPointException when calling VariableAttributeExpression. Anyone knows how to fix this issue? Thanks a lot.

------------------------------------------------

2018-06-20 10:31:55,670 [ccm: AsynchronousTaskRunner-2 @@ 10:31] ERROR com.ibm.team.repository                             - CRJAZ0852I An exception occurred while executing the task "Send_Reminder_Letter_taskID", contributed by component "com.ibm.team.repository".  The task will be removed from the schedule. <o:p> </o:p>

java.lang.NullPointerException <o:p> </o:p>

at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.expression.AttributeExpression.getValueType(AttributeExpression.java:186) <o:p> </o:p>

at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.expression.AttributeExpression.<init>(AttributeExpression.java:72) <o:p> </o:p>

at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.expression.VariableAttributeExpression.<init>(VariableAttributeExpression.java:36) <o:p> </o:p>

at com.delta.workitem.asynchronousTask.SendReminderLetter.queryCriteriaGeneral(SendReminderLetter.java:474) <o:p> </o:p>

at com.delta.workitem.asynchronousTask.SendReminderLetter.distinctWhichProjectCriteria(SendReminderLetter.java:331) <o:p> </o:p>

at com.delta.workitem.asynchronousTask.SendReminderLetter.fetchOwnerFromDelayWorkItems(SendReminderLetter.java:291) <o:p> </o:p>

at com.delta.workitem.asynchronousTask.SendReminderLetter.dueWorkitemQuery(SendReminderLetter.java:258) <o:p> </o:p>

at com.delta.workitem.asynchronousTask.SendReminderLetter.runTask(SendReminderLetter.java:200)

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (59.7k23643) | answered Jun 20 '18, 1:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/11/19/using-expressions-for-automation/ uses client API. Why would that be deployed on an application server?

Comments
Kenery Wang commented Jun 21 '18, 5:26 a.m. | edited Jun 21 '18, 5:34 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

Do you mean the query expression APIs can only be used in client side? I thought it requires auditable"Common" then it would be possible to run on both serve and client side.

I also notice that this nullpointexception occurs when it tries to find the attribute for query expression through QueryableAttributes.getFactory(IWorkItem.ITEM_TYPE).findAttribute. Is there any server side API can handle this? Thanks for your reply.

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 21 '18, 5:56 a.m.

In my example there is client API. E.g. I needed at least IQueryClient and to get that IWorkItemClient. I am not sure if this can be achieved in the Server/Common API. I am sorry.

With respect to the Null pointer exception I would suggest to try to debug that to find out what is null and search the SDK for similar calls/examples.

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 21 '18, 5:57 a.m.

Also, check the include statement for package names that include .client. This is not going to be available in a WAS server. but could be available in Jetty through the client SDK.

Kenery Wang commented Jun 22 '18, 3:39 a.m.

Hi Ralph, please find my comment on below Answer section because of the character limit of Comment section. 

permanent link
Kenery Wang (6411524) | answered Jun 22 '18, 3:38 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

I use following APIs to achieve the same purpose of what you mentioned:
----------------------------------------------------------------
public IQueryCommon fqueryCommon;
fqueryCommon = ((IQueryCommon)getService(IQueryServer.class)); 
IQueryResult<IResolvedResult<IWorkItem>> queryResult = fqueryCommon.getResolvedExpressionResults(projectAreaHandle, filterTerm, IWorkItem.FULL_PROFILE);
I look into findAttribute method during debugging, find out that:
checkCache(projectArea, auditableCommon, monitor);
Entry entry= fCache.get(projectArea.getItemId());
IQueryableAttribute cached= entry.attributeMap.get(attributeIdentifier);
The attributeIdentifier inside attributeMap doesn't contain some basic builtin attributes such as Project Area, Work Item Type and Due Date...so whenever I utilize findAttribute method to retrieve attributes like IWorkItem.PROJECT_AREA_PROPERTY, IWorkItem.DUE_DATE_PROPERTY, it will return Null. Totally no idea why this happens....

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jun 22 '18, 5:10 a.m.

Sorry, but I haven't used these API calls. I find this suspicious:

IQueryableAttribute cached= entry.attributeMap.get(attributeIdentifier); 

This is no API I have used so far and if I look at IQueryableAttribute this is usually retrieved using a factory if I look into the SDK.

You could try to get the unresolved results. You should also consider to use the access permission aware API.

Sorry I can not help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.