It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Performance issue with JTS 6.0.3 with WAS Liberty Profile

Monali Jambhulkar (841641) | asked Jan 22 '18, 3:39 a.m.
edited Jan 22 '18, 5:03 a.m.

Hello All,

We are using JTS 6.0.3 version along with RM, CCM, QM , DCC, Report builder & RELM application . Database is DERBY and with default WAS liberty profile .

With this above Environment , We are facing Sever performance issue, Not able to access url also many times we are starting and stopping server.
Our requirement is we have only  5-6 users and  data also not huge.

Can you please suggest which application server and database we have to use ?
 Is tomcat is good option? 

Is there any cache memory problem in WAS liberty profile?

Please suggest me .

Thanks

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 22 '18, 5:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

WAS liberty is a good choice.

You must however have an understanding of deployment topologies, sizing and databases to use for production.

Check https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/DeploymentPlanningAndDesign you probably want to avoid putting everything from your list above on one machine. Derby is only for demo purposes.

Comments
Donald Nong commented Jan 24 '18, 1:47 a.m.

In my experience, the embedded Derby is to blame. When using the embedded Derby, the Liberty Java process also act as a database manager, and it just does not do well when running for a long time. With the purchase of CLM, you are entitled to use DB2 so it should be the first choice if there are no particular reasons not to use it.

Daniel Barbour commented Jan 24 '18, 3:50 p.m.

Based on personal experience, I concur with Donald.  The Derby database is simply inadequate to the demands.  DB2 and SQL Server have both provided substantial performance improvements. 

Though I don't recommend the following as a 'fix' for Derby (as Ralph says - that is for DEMO usage only) - you might want to try reducing the default timeout settings listed for Derby in the server.startup file.   They are currently very long (almost 20 minutes)..refer to the following (numbers are in seconds):

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Dderby.locks.waitTimeout=1200
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Dderby.locks.deadlockTimeout=1140

P.S. The deadlockTimeout MUST BE less than the waitTimeout

P.P.S. - Another concern is the amount of RAM you have on your server machine.  The default settings (4G) are simply too low if you installed the reporting applications (LQE alone is a major memory hog).  Ralph provided a link describing the system sizing considerations.  Your requirements will vary but in my world I would not want to try running even a small team on an All-In-One server that has less than 32G Ram and 8 cores

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.