It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating a Staging Server ... Looking for Tips


Rob Olsen (33223) | asked Sep 20, 10:51 p.m.

I have a 5 server environment (JTS, CCM, QM, CCM, LQE, RELM) that I want to upgrade.  I only have one server in which to test an upgrade.  I am running WAS 8.5.5.10.  The baseline is 6.0.3 and upgrading to 6.0.4.  I thought I had this figured out but it is not working correctly.  Am I missing a step?

Prepped the Staging Server by modifying the etc/host file and made Staging Server think it was the 5 Prod servers, so when I pinged the Prod URLs it pointed to the Staging Server (127.0.0.1)

Made Test copies of all of the Prod databases used in the Staging Server

1) WAS 8.5.5.10 is up and running.

2) Installed clean CLM 6.0.3 using Installation Manager on the Staging Server.

3) On the Staging Server, backed up and removed everything in the server/webapps and server/conf folders

4) From the Prod server, copied over the folders from .../server/conf and put them in the Staging Server /conf folder

5) From the Prod server, copied over the .war files from the .../server/webapps and put them in the Staging Server /webapps folder

6) Using WAS, loaded the .war files

7) Started up the .war files

8) ran JTS/setup

Both QM and CCM are not showing up in the JTS/setup.  After I setup DCC, RELM and RS, when I bring up RELM, it keeps flashing.  Both QM and CCM are registered (as they were in the Prod server) but the home screen lists them as "not available".  Did I miss any steps?  I know I've done this before successfully when I did a 6.0.2 to 6.0.3.  Not sure why it is not working here.

Thanks for any help!

2 answers



permanent link
Pierre Friend (191711) | answered Sep 21, 10:05 a.m.

Not sure if you tried this yet - when setting up a staging server, use the WAS console to create a virtual host for each application. Each individual virtual host should have a matching entry in the etc/host file. Make sure they all resolve to the localhost machine. When time to install the jts.war file, you must map the appropriate virtual host to the jts.war and so on…Once the virtual hosting is completed for all of your applications, the setup should now see your registered apps. Details of virtual hosting can be found here https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.4/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_configuring_virtual_hosts.html


Comments
Rob Olsen commented Sep 21, 1:26 p.m.

So I did edit the etc/hosts file to have all file servers "point back" to the Staging Server, but I didn't do anything with WAS for that.  I will follow up with the indicated documentation and see if that works.  Thank you for the feedback.


permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.0k59) | answered Sep 21, 10:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The steps look mostly complete but I'd have a few questions:

1)  When you copied the prod databases over to staging, did you also update the teamserver.properties files to reflect the new location of each database? 

2)  Did you install CLM to the same path in staging as it is installed in prod?

3)  Did you maintain the same public URI for your staging server?

4)  Did you install the Java 7 SDK and apply it to your staging WAS profile?

There should be no need to run /jts/setup if done correctly, other than to install/register any new applications you might be adding as part of your upgrade testing.  If you've done all the things above, perhaps there are some useful messages in the log files for the applications that aren't working?


Comments
Rob Olsen commented Sep 21, 1:15 p.m.

Ben

Thanks for replying and good questions. 

1) Yes, I copied over the teamserver.properties files and changed the database, but the password for the database is encrypted, so that is why I went through setup again to point to the correct database and set the password.  I could wait till everything is loaded and just go to the "admin" pages, but LQE and RELM don't have Admin pages.

2) Yes, CLM was installed in the same path, sort of.  On the Prod sever I used same path and "JazzTeamServer_603", but on the Staging server I used the same path but "JazzTeamServer_603SS".  I made the appropriate updates in the WAS "Customized" page and noted the "SS" addition in the JAZZ_HOME and Log folders.

3) Yes, I maintained the Public URI, such the need to update the hosts file and have that Public URI point to my staging server as well.

4) Yes, installed Java 7 SDK similar to the Prod server.

Log files have not shown anything worth while yet, but still looking.  Thanks for the feedback.

Your answer


Register or to post your answer.