It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Installing Team Concert as a Service

Alan D (15631311) | asked Sep 21 '09, 9:37 a.m.
My last message didn't appear, so here's take two.

I'm trying to install the Jazz Team Server as a service on a Windows 2003 server.

I found a link here (http://jazz.net/library/techtip/72/) about installing the Jazz Server as a service, but appear to have run into an issue.

1. Execute C:\jazz\server\tomcat\bin\service.bat to install the Tomcat service.
Fine
2. If you are using Derby as your the backing database for your Jazz Repository, edit teamserver.properties to make the DB location an absolute path. E.g., change the value of db.jdbc.location to C:/jazz/server/repositoryDB.
Not using Derby, this is fine
3. Make sure that the WorkItem text index is specified with a fully qualified location. Edit teamserver.properties to change the value of com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexLocation to a fully qualified location.
Not applicable according to IBM
4. Execute C:\jazz\server\tomcat\bin\tomcat5w.exe to configure the service.
Fails - an Application System Error pop-up window appears with the message "The specified service does not exist as an installed service. Unable to open the service tomcat5"

Any ideas?

Thanks

7 answers

permanent link
Alan D (15631311) | answered Sep 22 '09, 3:49 a.m.
Anyone?

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Sep 22 '09, 4:02 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Alan,

I have installed Jazz as a service several times following the technotes available here. It always worked. I have seen instances where people did not follow the tech note correctly and failed to convert the relative paths to the provisioning / config directories (needs to be done always) or failed to add the additional properties in the tomcat service though.

However the issue you are reporting seems to be at the level where the service gets installed by the tomcat.bat. I'd check the registra for the service. Is it available in the service list provided by the OS? If not the issue is wit the installation of the service. E.g. rights to rite to the registry, to the drive or other issues. What dies the OS Log say?

I failed to install Apache with a service name different from the default once too.

Sorry, I have no more ideas.

Ralph

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Sep 22 '09, 4:06 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
javascript:emoticon(':oops:')

And i shall check my laptop for missing key caps....

Ralph

permanent link
Stephanie Bagot (2.1k1513) | answered Dec 02 '09, 1:18 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi, you need to run the service.bat install command from the command prompt to properly install the service. Hope that helps,
Stephanie

My last message didn't appear, so here's take two.

I'm trying to install the Jazz Team Server as a service on a Windows 2003 server.

I found a link here (http://jazz.net/library/techtip/72/) about installing the Jazz Server as a service, but appear to have run into an issue.

1. Execute C:\jazz\server\tomcat\bin\service.bat to install the Tomcat service.
Fine
2. If you are using Derby as your the backing database for your Jazz Repository, edit teamserver.properties to make the DB location an absolute path. E.g., change the value of db.jdbc.location to C:/jazz/server/repositoryDB.
Not using Derby, this is fine
3. Make sure that the WorkItem text index is specified with a fully qualified location. Edit teamserver.properties to change the value of com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexLocation to a fully qualified location.
Not applicable according to IBM
4. Execute C:\jazz\server\tomcat\bin\tomcat5w.exe to configure the service.
Fails - an Application System Error pop-up window appears with the message "The specified service does not exist as an installed service. Unable to open the service tomcat5"

Any ideas?

Thanks

permanent link
Alan D (15631311) | answered Dec 07 '09, 5:54 a.m.
Thanks All

Re-installed the jazz server, the service installation was fine this time round.

Personally, I'd blame the user.

Alan

permanent link
Alan D (15631311) | answered Nov 23 '10, 5:48 a.m.
We are using RTC Express as a sandbox.

I can install the Server, and get it started using Server.startup. I've also *almost* installed it as a windows service, but am running into difficulties.

I have had to call the service tomcat5w, when using service.bat otherwise tomcat5w.exe will not launch (which seems a bit rubbish);
    I *can* access the 'setup' section of jazz on <host>:9443/jazz/setup
    I *cannot* access <host>:9443/jazz as the error log gives the exception:
    "java.io.FileNotFoundException: c:\jazz\server\conf\jazz\teamserver.properties (The system cannot find the path specified.)"

RTC Express has been extracted to:
E:\RTC_Express\, so the team.server.properties file is located at
E:\RTC_Express\jazz\server\conf\jazz
but the above exception makes it look like it must be extracted to
C:\

JAZZ_HOME is set to: E:\RTC_Express\jazz\server\

Again, this only affects setting up RTC_EXpress as a windows service, I can run it fine from the server.startup.bat file, but this means I need to remain logged into the server to run it.

I can't install this to the C:\ drive for admin reasons, any ideas?

Thanks
Alan

permanent link
Alan D (15631311) | answered Nov 23 '10, 6:16 a.m.
Sorted!

Copied the section:

-DJAZZ_HOME=file:///c:/jazz/server/conf
    -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dorg.eclipse.emf.ecore.plugin.EcorePlugin.doNotLoadResourcesPlugin=true
    -Dcom.ibm.team.repository.tempDir=%TEMP%

into the java options under the Java tab when running tomcat5w.exe as detailed here: http://jazz.net/library/article/72, and neglected to change the
-DJAZZ_HOME=file:///c:/jazz/server/conf
to
-DJAZZ_HOME=file:///E:/RTC_Express/jazz/server/conf

Ran tomcat5w.exe again, changed the value, the service runs.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.