It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

"Compare Builds" not enabled in VS 2008

Gary Mullen-Schultz (28725536) | asked Sep 08 '09, 5:41 p.m.
If I select two builds in the "Build" window of the Visual Studio 2008 plugin, and right click, I see that there is a "Compare Builds" menu option but it's always disabled (grayed out). Is this feature not available? If so, why does it show up on the menu?

Thanks, Gary

3 answers

permanent link
Sandeep Kohli (1413) | answered Sep 21 '09, 1:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If I select two builds in the "Build" window of the Visual Studio 2008 plugin, and right click, I see that there is a "Compare Builds" menu option but it's always disabled (grayed out). Is this feature not available? If so, why does it show up on the menu?

Thanks, Gary

If it is a personal build of the build didn't complete, only in those cases will the option be greyed out. If you are seeing this behavior while comparing two builds, that are complete and none of them is personal, please open a work item.

permanent link
Krishna Kishore (50112) | answered Sep 21 '09, 3:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks, Gary

The selected builds should not be of type "Personal Builds" and the builds should be in completed state. In addition to this the build definition should use "Jazz Source Control" for managing the source code. To check this open the build definition in Eclipse Client and check if the Build Definition has a "Jazz Source Control" tab and you have specified a Build Workspace

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Sep 22 '09, 12:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Note that the requirement that the build be complete should really be relaxed. See 93354: Compare Builds is only enabled for completed builds.

The reason compare is not enabled on personal builds is that they have no associated snapshot. The comparison is actually done between the snapshots of the two builds.

Nick Edgar
RTC Build component lead

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.