It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Approval Tracking with multiple Approval

Pankaj Sharma (401169) | asked Jun 21 '16, 9:11 a.m.
I have a requirement of getting approval from 2 different group for a workitem, 
I have added 2 different approval section (descriptor) and made a setup from Approval Tracking and set Workflow Action, so that once approval form both the group is done then only workitem state changes to Implementation Complete.

But as soon as 1st group approves the approval, it does not wait for 2nd groups approval and changes the status of WI to Implementation complete.

Am i doing anything wrong?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jun 21 '16, 10:07 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The approval change to approved triggers the work item state change. Your assumption that a second approval would require this to be approved as well, is incorrect. You would have to add the approves you want to one approval
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Pankaj Sharma commented Jun 22 '16, 4:59 a.m.

Hello Ralph,

Thanks for the response, But the business demands approvals of 2 different group is must and [1) CCB 2) Sr. Management], Hence i added them in 2 different approval in the same WI (https://jazz.net/library/content/articles/rtc/3.0.1/managing-change-best-practices/images/approvals.png)

Like you see in the picture i need WI state should be changed only when Release 1.0 Peer Review & Release 1.0 Team Lead Approval is done

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 22 '16, 5:21 a.m. | edited Jun 22 '16, 5:24 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I can only tell you how the tool works. You can think it should do different or desire that.The tool is not likely to change its behavior just because you want it to.

The business can demand what it wants, but if the tool is not implemented that way that does not result in the tool working as desired.

So to solve this you would have to create an extension/automation that automates your custom requirement. You can also create enhancement requests for this, but I think that will likely be turned down and you will end with having to create your own extension or find a pragmatic solution within the tools current behavior.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.