It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Changeset for multiple streams. Ignore or mark complete permanently

Tanveer Zubair (116) | asked Feb 29 '16, 12:31 p.m.
edited Nov 02 '16, 12:47 p.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646)
Here is my scenario.   making an example for it.
Consider: 2 Streams A & B, work item x

I delivered a change set for work item  x to Stream A.
When I do comparison of Stream A & B, found that the same change set is not delivered in Stream B.
I have two choices, either I promote (deliver) the change set to stream B or don't do anything.
If I don't do anything, than in next comparison the same change set will show up as a missing item in Stream B.
I like to mark the change set NOT needed, or deliver it empty, or discard in a way that the comparison of stream should not reflect after first time.
How I can achieve this goal.
We need to keep in mind that we will always compare streams not work space.
I appreciate all inputs.

2 answers

permanent link
Surya Tripathi (65017) | answered Feb 29 '16, 1:12 p.m.
I guess your two streams contain same set of components and are equivalent. The comparison will always show the missing changeset until you accept it and possibly merge it. The two streams may contain different set of changesets possibly because they represent two different releases of the product. In that case, you do want to know the differences when you compare. Making the two streams look the same without accepting the changes is not the right thing to do.

Comments
Tanveer Zubair commented Feb 29 '16, 2:10 p.m. | edited Feb 29 '16, 2:51 p.m.

Hi Surya,
   To answer your question of first part, Yes, both stream have same components.
The Challenger I have is; like to do some thing in either of the stream so the change set should not appear to be needed in stream B, as the developer already decided that it is NOT needed in Stream B, and don't like to see again and again in the comparison of Stream A & B.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 29 '16, 2:55 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I believe you are looking for the functionality requested by: Provide a "reject" operation that can be applied to a set of incoming change sets (159380) .   This functionality is not yet supported by RTC.
As a workaround, you can create a new stream, named something like "Reviewed-work-items".   After you have reviewed a set of incoming changes, accept them into this new stream.    Then you can cherry pick incoming work items from the stream to the Reviewed-work-items stream.

Comments
Tanveer Zubair commented Feb 29 '16, 4:34 p.m. | edited Feb 29 '16, 4:39 p.m.

Hi Geoffrey,
    Not sure how I will reject by the process you mentioned. 
I have Stream A and B.   Created a new steam from B ("Reviewed-work-items"), than compare and accepted in this new stream.  Rest I didn't get it, would you please elaborate more.

I appreciate.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 01 '16, 4:38 p.m. | edited Mar 01 '16, 4:39 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You have repository workspace ws-a and stream st-x, and you periodically, you want accept into ws-a some (but not all) of the change sets from st-x.   Create stream "reviewed-x".   Load ws-a into your Eclipse workspace.   Declare st-x as a flow target of reviewed-x, and add reviewed-x into the Pending Changes view of your Eclipse workspace.  Review all of the incoming changes for reviewed-x.   Multi-select the ones you want to accept into ws-a, and select the open_with->Change_Explorer operation.   Then multi-select the entries in the Change Explorer, and select Accept (this will accept those changes into your loaded workspace, ws-a).  Then in the Pending Changes view, accept all incoming changes into the reviewed-x stream.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.