It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Error: failed to read entire content

Darrell Reich (949) | asked Feb 09 '16, 12:00 p.m.
What does this error message mean? Changing the timeout from default 8 minutes doesn't help.

There were errors during download.  It is recommended that components be reloaded.  The reload will be incremental, loading only the missing items.  You can further reduce the reload time by reloading just the projects out of sync.

Failed to download /path/file.ext

Error while writing to /path/file.ext : Failed to read entire content

We're using RTC jazz 5.0.2 with the Eclipse 4.2 client while developing with Eclipse 4.4.2 Luna JDK 8 OSGi

Can I use the scm command line, check the errorlevel, and automatically restart? This is frustrating watching the metronome hits and the progress bar stuck at 78%

2 answers

permanent link
Zeeshan Choudhry (6541612) | answered Feb 09 '16, 3:29 p.m.
Can you try disabling the Antivirus as a check to see if its causing any issue when writing the files to the Disk while they are being downloaded.  The error you see can be caused due to network failure due to incomplete write of the file or something interfering the write to the disk. Maybe worth checking both. Other wise if you have a call stack of the eclipse error and the call stack of matching error in the ccm.log that can point out what could have caused this.

Comments
Darrell Reich commented Feb 09 '16, 4:05 p.m.

I do not have admin privs to disable McAfee. Please elaborate as to why you'd suspect the virus checker? It usually scans files after they are downloaded completely like email but not while they are being downloaded, right? I was able to pause the online backup and finish Windows Updates before using RTC. Task Manager shows 1% cpu and network usage. But RTC is very slow 40 kb/s. I copied the details of the error message provided. There is no call stack. The error repeats over and over for all the files in the component it is attempting to load. Where is the ccm.log? The project admin and the sys admin are attempting to find clues on their end too. Please have the developers locate "failed to read entire content" in the code and elaborate on the conditions that generate this message. Separate what I should do as user client side and what the sys admin should do on the server side.

permanent link
Zeeshan Choudhry (6541612) | answered Feb 10 '16, 3:45 a.m.
The call stack of the error you get is missing so the answer was based on best guess. I am not sure how different Virus scanners work but have seen in some cases the problem was the with content hash where the value for it was not what was expected after the Virus scanner has analyzed the downloaded file. 
( typically happens when a file has changed during download or being truncated )

The call stack would be in the .log file of the Eclipse and ccm.log or jazz.log is the RTC server log which would be in the Server installation directory or WAS profile directory depending on what you are using to host your servers.
typically for tomcat and Liberty , the files are in  JazzInstallDir/server/logs and RTC logs are named as ccm.log or jazz.log

40kbs is already quite slow. Where is your server located?  I think in your case it would be not 123 solution since there are a few things that needs to be checked.
1. Server logs at the time when the issue was reproduced.
2. Eclipse .log at the time when the issue was reproduced.
3. Network traces or better yet check the health of the network . Start with using Metranome.
4. You would probably need support assistance in getting things looked at. So you would need to open a PMR with IBM.

A workaround as a user would be just reload the files that are out of sync due to this failure. As a user you get that option to reload.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.