It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM 5.0.2: How to export bulk Test cases/Test Scripts into Excel 2013 or Word 2013?

Sushma Jain (1112) | asked Jan 18 '16, 11:02 a.m.
retagged Oct 27 '17, 7:09 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

I have installed RQMExcelImporterSetup.exe and RQMExcelImporterX64setup.exe on my Win 7, Office 2013 machine. Unfortunately, I can export only 1 test case at a time by running it in Offline mode. Can anyone help me to export multiple test cases/test Scripts in one go? Also, is it possible to export test cases from a test suit? Currently, I have to go to "Construction" --> "Browse" -->"Test Cases" option which takes me to complete repository of test cases in RQM.

4 answers

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21114139) | answered Jan 18 '16, 11:32 p.m.
Hi, Sushma

If you want to bulk export for offline execution, you need to go to TCER view to do that:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_5.0.2/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_run_offline.html

Testcase view only allows to export one testcase a time. Bulk export will create a zip file to combined all testcases
but export into RQMExcelImporter can only be done one by one(you need to unzip the file and export .rqms file one by one).

Exporting from test suite is not supported currently. You may want to monitor this active RFE:
https://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=62302

permanent link
Sushma Jain (1112) | answered Jan 19 '16, 11:12 a.m.
edited Jan 19 '16, 11:25 a.m.

Hello Don,

Thanks for the response. Does it mean that the records exported through "Test Case Execution Records" will be compatible with the ones from "Test Cases" if we wish to import them back to RQM test cases repository?

The current process seems to be quite time consuming if we need to export 100s of test cases.

After modifying current test case/script, how will it be replaced in RQM? Just wondering, because there is no record available for either test case or test script IDs in the exported file.

I will highly appreciate if this functionality of being able to export multiple Test Cases/Test Scripts in single excel file can be introduced in RQM asap.

Comments
Don Yang commented Jan 19 '16, 6:05 p.m.

Hi, Sushma

Basically export from TCER will have a zip file containing all selected test cases exported .rqms files, as if you exported individual test case as many times. But importing into Excel will need to do one rqms by one which is time consuming. Please be noted that Offline Execution mode is for Test Result only. When you updated test result and then export the excel file/cfg file back to RQM(when importing rqms file to Excel, it will generate .xls and cfg file and you can use these two files to export back into RQM), it will automatically update the test result to the respective test case.

Therefore, this mode is not supposed to be used for test case or test script update. If your test case and test scripts are originally exported into RQM via ExcelImporter, you can update .xls file and .cfg file and then using ExcelImporter to update the existing test cases and test scripts(over write).

Sushma Jain commented Feb 18 '16, 8:00 a.m.

Hello,

I have followed you instruction and exported 47 .RQMS files out of 138 RQM tests using Excel RQM Importer 64 bit on a machine Win 7, Office 2013.

My purpose is to merge all the excel sheets into single document for review.

Using RQM Add-In I can convert RQMS files into xls. My problem is that when I convert one RQMS into xls, I need to close Excel, restart it again to convert second RQMS into .xls.

If I convert second RQMS without closing Excel, I get error

"We couldn't find anything to replace. Click Option for more ways to search.

FYI: It's possible the data you are trying to replace is in a protected sheet. excel can't replace data in protected sheets."

If I click "OK", I get excel sheet with missing information. However, if I close Excel and try to open the same RQMS again, I get .xls with full information.

Please note that 138 tests are part of only one test suit and I have to repeat similar exercise for other test suits. 

I will highly appreciate your help.

Don Yang commented Feb 18 '16, 11:28 p.m.

I dont think RQM add-in will be able to merge all excel sheets into single document.
I also notice the same problem as described. It seems more likely this is something related to Excel instead of add-in. I notice even if it has the error, xls and cfg files are created during import by the add-in.
If I open a blank Excel and start add-in to do offline import, after import, it will stay in the same blank Excel but if I hover on excel icon in the taskbar, I see the imported xls file is actually opened there. I have to switch to that xls and close it(leave blank Excel sheet there) and then import again and close the newly imported xls file only and going further. This still is not ideal but at least I don't need to close all the sheets and start again.

permanent link
Devlon Infotech (11) | answered Feb 19 '16, 1:19 a.m.
Hii,

We just setup a TFS 2013 release candidate server and I began playing around with the test grid. Is there any way to bulk update test tests in the grid via excel. I have tabs and tabs of test cases in spreadsheets on my machine and I want a way to bulk upload the tabs from excel into test cases...without having to copy and paste dozens of times...that's error prone and slow. Is there any way to work with the grid in the excel program itself? I am running Excel 2010 but can install Excel 2013 if that version is required.

Regards

permanent link
Kunal N (872862) | answered Oct 18 '17, 4:32 a.m.

Hi,

We needed to export few testcases from RQM and I did it using RQM import utility by using run offline mode. Now the problem is it have made all the testcases status go in inprogress. Now i need to revert the changes Is this possible?

Thanks
Kunal

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.