It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can we create IBM i Project Build on RTC Client

IFTIKHAR AHMED (1139) | asked Dec 14 '15, 10:30 a.m.
 We have windows RTC server on one machine and we have installed RDi client, RTC client and RDi/RTC Integration on developer machine.
W have created an IBM i project on RDi using RSE we shared this project to RTC server through RTC client now we want to create Build for IBM i Project on RTC how it can be done we didn't installed any thing on IBM i server.
How can we bring this IBM i project on RTC client in i project prospective / i project Navigator view.

An early reply needed.

Thanks in Advance.

2 answers

permanent link
Melissa Weaver (621215) | answered Dec 16 '15, 7:41 p.m.
When you create the i Project from RSE it should have added it to the i Project Navigator view automatically.  You may need to open the iProjects perspective to see it.

As best I know,  to run builds on the IBMi you need to install the RTC license programs  5760JZ0  - *Base and option 3  (Build ToolKit).  You can then create the build engine, and build definitions for the build.

permanent link
Ulhas Shetty (1316) | answered Feb 09 '16, 3:34 a.m.
Hi Melissa,
When you say "builds" in IBM i components' context, do you mean regular compilations. If not, can you please elaborate? 
Also, I wanted to know whether RTC can be used to move components, residing in our iSeries servers, to move from one library to another. Source and compiled components, both included.
Note that my components are not residing in Jazz repository.
Can you (or anyone) shed some light on this particular build and source movement point?

Thanks,
Ulhas.

Comments
Melissa Weaver commented Feb 09 '16, 5:47 p.m.

I meant use an IBM Dependency build to push the source from the repository to the IBMi then do the appropriate compile.  You can look in the on-line RTC documentation on how to setup a IBM Dependency build and the language definition and translators to accompany it. 
I do not know how RTC can move components that are NOT in the repository.  What type of, and where are those components?  Perhaps, someone else has some information. 

Ulhas Shetty commented Feb 10 '16, 7:25 a.m. | edited Feb 10 '16, 7:26 a.m.

Thanks for your response, Melissa.

When you say "push the source from the repository to the IBMi then do the appropriate compile", is your source repository Jazz? Or are we talking about having the sources residing in IBM i and moving (along with compiled components) using promotion definitions? 
What I would want to do is keep the sources in Jazz (to use RTC features) and move the sources around in Jazz, at the same time promoting respective compiled objects in IBM i/iSeries partitions, from one data set (*LIB) to another.
Would RTC Build agent and Enterprise extension of RTC, be able to facilitate this?
I might be stating something totally random and with no sense, but I wanted to know if this approach is even possible. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.