It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to manage review status of files in components.

Geoff Binns (30625) | asked Dec 04 '15, 8:42 a.m.

What is the best way to manage this use case.

If many change sets are created on a component of which some are reviewed.

It is desired that only the latest revision of the component files is reviewed at some time prior to release. Without there being a status on each file how can it be determined which latest revisions have been reviewed and which have not.

We don't want to have to check every change set and related Work Item.

Comments
Surya Tripathi commented Dec 17 '15, 5:06 p.m.

I am trying to understand the question and wondering how have been setting 'reviewed' status of changesets. It sounds like you know of a way to determine if a changeset has been reviewed or not.

Geoff Binns commented Jan 04 '16, 10:14 a.m.

Surya, I believe the only way and which is the problem, is to manage the change set status using a Work Item which we don't think is satisfactory. The problem then becomes more difficult if there are multiple change sets linked to the same Work Item. Each change set could be approved, verified, reviewed by different people at different times. The only way maybe is to track the status in comments which isn't satisfactory.

Also, for some software products we want the files within a change set to have different states of approval. We don't want to create multitudes of Work Items either to manage change sets with different combinations of files either as the danger then is that further file revisions would be created.

Hope this is clearer.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Surya Tripathi (65017) | answered Jan 04 '16, 8:01 p.m.
I see. I understand what you are trying to achieve. RTC SCM has the code review concept. Once the changesets are completed, the work item can be set for code review and once code is reviewed, the work item can be approved and changesets can be delivered to the stream. Typically, a work item would contain similar changesets/code pertaining to fixing/implementing the work item. This is the reason, the code review is done at the work item level as opposed to individual changeset level. I think you might find the new Code Review feature in RTC 6.0.1 worth checking. It provides more granularity and control of the code review process  - https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/milestones/6.0.1M3?p=news

Geoff Binns selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.