It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does work item save silently reject change of status ?

Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | asked Nov 19 '15, 3:11 p.m.
Scenario:  RTC 5.0.2 ifix006.  Defect work item type with spaget, er elaborate workflow.  One defect in particular when attempting to move from the current status to In Progress quietly allows a save but does not actually make the change.   When using ?debug=true, saving and looking at the work item history this is displayed:

For the In Progress status, no resolutions are enabled ( which I believe is the norm ).    Watching the web UI activity with Firebug I see this message following a POST

[Value Conversion]: could not interpret [object Object] as a string. Returning as empty string.

I tracked the project change history and work flow not touched since this particular work item was created.  I also checked workflow usage and attribute usage.  Workflow ok, lots of work items with missing attributes.  

Comments
Donald Nong commented Nov 20 '15, 3:40 a.m.

Any customization involved? I would assume yes since you mentioned "move status quietly". Since you are trying to debug it, have you been able to locate where the troubled value conversion takes place?

Kevin Ramer commented Nov 20 '15, 7:51 a.m.

By "quietly" I mean that there is no error message or other feedback upon changing status then Save. It just doesn't work.   There are no attribute customizations for this work item type (i.e. no validators, value providers, etc )

However, just a bit ago the users of this project removed a duplicates link and the status was allowed to change.

Kevin Ramer commented Nov 20 '15, 9:05 a.m.

The Value Conversion message is from line 74 of com.ibm.team.workitem.web.internal.model.types.StringAttributeType.js

This behavior is definitely due to the presence of a duplicate link.

Donald Nong commented Nov 22 '15, 7:49 p.m.

I suppose the issue is resolved now? If so, shall we convert your comment about removing the link as an answer?

Kevin Ramer commented Nov 24 '15, 9:13 a.m.

I don't know if it is a good answer; I cannot replicate the behavior in other RTC project areas, nor can I find any configuration in the affected project area that would seem to contribute to the behavior. 

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.