It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I link work items to GIT commits without the Rational Adapter for GIT

ali mazid (312) | asked Oct 20 '15, 11:44 a.m.
I'm working on integrating RTC with GIT hosted in Apache. It seems to be working fine (Permissions, pre-conditions are all taken into account) but the linking of Work Items with the commits is not working...

From the documentation it would seem Rational Adapter for GIT is required for this to work, but it's not clear to me whether that's the case or not.

FYI, I'm not using Gerrit or GitWeb, only a Git repo hosted in an Apache Web Server.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kiran M N (3262) | answered Oct 20 '15, 11:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi,

No, the Rational Adapter for Git is not required for linking commits to work items. That is a separate offering from that of RTC's support for Git. And, RTC, since 5.0 supports linking work items to commits.

Just check if you have deployed the post-receive hook, and configured it properly.

What version of RTC you are using?

ali mazid selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
ali mazid (312) | answered Oct 21 '15, 11:41 a.m.
Hi Kiran,

Thanks for the tip of checking the post-receive hook. Indeed it was calling script AssociateCommitToWorkitem.py. I changed it to use AssociateWorkitem.py and I can now see the links on RTC.

Thanks for your quick reply.

permanent link
Rolf Nelson (617159) | answered Oct 21 '15, 12:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 21 '15, 12:09 p.m.
 Just to add a bit more on how we support Git with RTC.

Starting with RTC v5.0 and forward RTC has a built in Git integration that ships with RTC.  The much older RLIA integration with Git is no longer supported on RTC 5.x or RTC 6.x.   You only need an RTC Contributor license to use the integration.  You would need at least one RTC Developer license to setup and configure the integration.

The Git integration is greatly improved in RTC v6.0.1 as it is simpler to setup and has no external dependency on Apache or Pyhthon.   (It is now node.js based).  

New in RTC v6.0.1 is also support for GitHub and Gitlab.  So you can do really cool stuff like #resolve a work item directly from a GitHub commit comment or set the time spent on a task directly from the GitHub commit. These are called actionable comments.  Git repository permissions control is only supported with Git and not GitHub in RTC v6.0.1.

Customers who have pockets of Git usage or Gitub can now track and plan and report on project status using RTC across all their projects regardless if the development is taking place in the RTC SCM, Git, Gitlab, GitHub, or ClearCase or Synergy.  Linking change sets to work items in RTC to manage all their work.  CLM will of course work as well, since the work item linkage is the primary way to do traceability and reporting across CLM. 

Comments
ali mazid commented Oct 21 '15, 3:35 p.m.

Hi,

Thanks for the additional details, it helps a lot ! I have been testing in RTC 5.0.2, and thought I could trigger status transitions via commit messages. Is the #resolve only working after 6.0.1 ? if so, will it only work for GitHub and GitLab repositories or will it also work for hosted GIT repos with the Node.js component ?

Thanks again !

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.