It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Slow RRC/DNG Baseline 'Reportable Rest API' request

Sam Briggs (3769) | asked Oct 15 '15, 8:25 a.m.
Hi all,

We are using Rational DOORS Next Generation (DNG) for our project and I am responsible for generating our documentation from the application using Rational Publishing Engine (RPE) via the Reportable Rest API.

It is imperative that we generate our documentation from baselines in order to guarantee the content has not been edited since.

Using the Reportable Rest API to request data from a baseline is slow. For example a request for the 'resources' type data for all requirements in a module, of 312 artifacts:
  • From the current working copy (URI format: https://[server]:[port]/rm/publish/text?moduleURI=<moduleUUID>) takes 61895ms
  • From a baseline copy (URI format: https://[server]:[port]/rm/publish/text?moduleURI=<moduleURI>&snapshotID=<baselineUUID>) takes 171655ms
We have many modules that are larger than this. Furthermore our document templates are more complex than making a single request. The result is that our larger documents, generated from a baseline, are now taking > 7hrs to generate when they take <2hrs from the working copy.

To make matters worse, the generation time is increasing over time. This is true even for modules that are not being edited. There are two things happening over time:
  • The number of project baselines is increasing
  • The number of artifacts on the Jazz Team Server (but not the module in question) is increasing
If either of these factors are increasing the time taken to make Reportable Rest API requests then we are heading towards document generation times that are even more unfeasible than we are currently experiencing.

My question is: Is this standard behaviour?

Our DNG setup is detailed below:

About the Requirements Management Application

Build Information Version Build ID
Rational DOORS Next Generation 5.0.2 RDNG5.0.2-I20141028_1800
The patch is active for RM. For details about the patch, see the readme.txt file. 5.0.2 iFix003
Requirements Management - Core Libraries 5.0.2 5.0.2
Jazz Foundation - Core Libraries 5.0.2 RJF-I20141028-1603
The patch is active for Jazz Foundation - Core Libraries. For details about the patch, see the readme.txt file. 5.0.2 iFix003

About the Rational Jazz Team Server

Build Information Version Build ID
Jazz Foundation - Core Libraries 5.0.2 RJF-I20141028-1603
The patch is active for Jazz Foundation - Core Libraries. For details about the patch, see the readme.txt file. 5.0.2 iFix003

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.