It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

ClearQuest OSLC 2.0 query pagination not working as expected

Aaron Lindsey (1111) | asked Sep 16 '15, 6:41 p.m.
I am running a query using the OSLC 2.0 REST API that returns ~6000 records. I am using rcm.startIndex and oslc.pageSize to get the records in pages of size 100. I would expect that page 1 would contain records 1-100, page 2 would contain records 101-200, etc. Instead, what is happening is that each page contains a seemingly random selection of 100 records out of the 6000. So instead of getting 6000 unique records, I end up with many duplicate records and some records are not returned.

The query looks like this:
GET https://clearquest.mycompany.com/cqweb/oslc/repo/REPO/db/DB/simpleQuery/12345678?oslc.where=cq:Product in ["ABC", "123"] and cq:State!="Closed" and cq:Modified_Date>"2015-09-15T16:00:00Z"&oslc.prefix=cq=<http://www.ibm.com/xmlns/prod/rational/clearquest/1.0/>&oslc.select=dcterms:identifier&rcm.startIndex=1&oslc.pageSize=100
My algorithm works by increasing the startIndex by 100 until the total number of records are returned. I also tried using oslc.orderBy but I could not get that to work either.

Is this a limitation of the OSLC API? Or am I doing something wrong?

Comments
Aaron Lindsey commented Oct 21 '15, 4:29 p.m.

Update: Even when I use the link in the oslc.nextPage attribute, I still see the same behavior. When I call the exact same URL more than once, I get a different set of results each time. It seems like no ordering is being enforced whatsoever.

2 answers

permanent link
Fernando Silva (8124) | answered Sep 17 '15, 12:30 a.m.
edited Sep 17 '15, 12:32 a.m.
 I think that you have to find the attribute rdf:resource at the tag oslc.nextPage  and use this url to retrieve the next page.

Comments
Aaron Lindsey commented Oct 20 '15, 4:47 p.m.

Hi Fernando, unfortunately I tested it using the url in oslc.nextPage and got the same result.

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Sep 17 '15, 6:42 a.m.
I don't see this randomness in my own environment with a much smaller result set. Do you still see the randomness if you tighten up the search conditions? Also, how do you execute the query? Within some custom code or just a browser? I'm wondering whether the query is executed in a new user session every time you run it, or the result sets have not been cached.

As for oslc.orderBy, according to a very old post, the feature may not be implemented at all.
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014791814

Comments
Aaron Lindsey commented Oct 21 '15, 4:33 p.m.

Hi Donald, we tried to execute the query in a browser as well as using custom code and saw the same behavior for both. We noticed that if we remove cq:Product and cq:State filters from the oslc.where clause, the paging works as expected. It seems that we only see the randomness happening for certain oslc.where clauses.

Donald Nong commented Oct 21 '15, 9:20 p.m.

That's a bit strange. In this case, it's probably related to the way the SQL statement is constructed. If you can reproduce this issue on purpose, I would suggest you open a ticket with Support to confirm whether this is a defect.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.