It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why is RQM always using the "None" channel instead of the first channel related to the test environment?

Timo Reiss (209512) | asked Aug 12 '15, 5:07 a.m.
Hi guys,

First, I created 2 channels: one is called CH-Windows (linked to attribute OS > Windows), the other is called CH-Linux (linked to OS > Linux, respectively).

Then I created a keyword, which I linked to 3 different scripts: one script for each channel "None", "CH-Windows", and "CH-Linux". This keyword was then used in a test script, associated with a test case.

The latter test case was then added to a test plan. In this test plan, I created test environments for "OS > Windows" and "OS > Linux". Then I created executions records for the above test case: one TCER for OS > Windows, another for OS > Linux.

When I choose to execute either TCER (without options), I expected that RQM would expand the keyword according to the test environment associated with the TCER, i.e., in case TCER_Windows the system would use Windows specific script provided by the keyword:
"Note: If using channels, the Test Case Execution Record will run on the first channel to which its Test Environment is related. View a Test Environment in the Test Environment Editor to view its related channels." [Quoted from the RQM documentation: Running a test execution record]
But to my surprise, the keyword was always using the "None" channel script, although the test environment lists only a single channel. What struck me, was that each TCER  lists two channels: "None" and "CH-{Windows, Linux}".

But still, I'd expect that the system should be able to select the correct channel if it can be resolved; the "none" channel may serve as a fall-back, sure. But if the test environment is clearly providing a unique channel, why is the system no selecting this channel by itself?

Maybe my understanding of the matter is faulty. I don't know. I'd appreciate any insight you might share regarding this.

Thanks a lot & cheers,
Timo

One answer

permanent link
Reshma Ratnani (1.1k1) | answered Aug 20 '15, 7:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Timo,

This seems to be a defect. I have opened a defect for this issue RQM always using the "None" channel instead of the first channel related to the test environment (140955)

Thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.