It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Learning Development Plans for RTC

Jim Tykal (411) | asked Jun 24 '09, 5:44 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Rational Learning Development is currently working on two instructor-led courses for IBM Rational Team Concert, V2.0:

Essentials of IBM Rational Team Concert, V2.0 (1-day)
release date: August 10, 2009
Description: Essentials of IBM Rational Team Concert enables software developers to use Rational Team Concert for their day to day development work. Team members learn to join a project, set up their Eclipse and repository workspaces, use work items to manage their work, use Jazz source control, perform builds, and use dashboards and reports to understand project status.

Mastering Project Administration in IBM Rational Team Concert, V2.0 (2-days)
release date: early Q4, 2009
Description: Mastering Project Administration in IBM Rational Team Concert targets project administrators and team leads. Students learn how to configure Rational Team Concert project areas and processes so that the core IBM practices for agile development and change & release management can be effectively adopted by the project team. Topics include planning projects, teams, and iterations to support continuous integration and test driven development; defining source control streams and component structure; customizing process controls and work items; and customizing Rational Team Concert queries and reports to measure progress and practice adoption. This course can be deployed through traditional classroom (ILT), virtual classroom (ILO), or self-study.

Feel free to contact me directly or simply post your thoughts in this topic thread if you have any questions.

11 answers

permanent link
Jim Tykal (411) | answered Aug 12 '09, 5:25 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
With "back to school" time for the kids right around the corner, it's only appropriate that I provide another RTC Training Update from the Rational Learning Development team!

RS800 Essentials of IBM Rational Team Concert V2.0 has been released! You can learn more about the course, view open enrollment schedules, or find out about onsite training options here:
http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03001c/services/learning/ites.wss/us/en?pageType=course_description&courseCode=RS800

Development work on the next RTC training course, RS815 Mastering Project Administration in IBM Rational Team Concert V2.0, is progressing nicely. We are blazing some new trails at IBM by making this course a collaborative effort between our Learning Development team, members of the Rational User Assitance community (these are the fine folks who bring you the IBM Info Centers, among other things...), and subject matter experts from ISSR (IBM Software Services Rational). We're still on track for a Q4 release of this course -- it will make a great holiday gift for your favorite Team Lead, Product Owner or Scrum Master!

Jazz.net is your community! If you have any suggestions or comments for us at Rational Learning -- don't be shy! Join the discussion.

Best Regards,
Jim

permanent link
Jim Tykal (411) | answered Sep 04 '09, 3:07 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
UPDATE: Now that we are digging deeper into the topics proposed for the RS815: Mastering Project Administration in IBM Rational Team Concert V2.0 training class, we are realizing that we have a lot more content here than we originally thought. Rather than extend this to a 3-5 day class, we are planning to offer multiple courses, providing more flexibility for you to train only in the topics you need. Here's a rundown of the proposed RTC V2.0 Training Curriculum:

RS800: Essentials of IBM Rational Team Concert (available now)
Essentials of IBM Rational Team Concert V2.0 is a one-day, instructor-led course designed as an introduction to IBM Rational Team Concert for software developers. Students will learn to utilize IBM Rational Team Concert to effective manage their work items, collaborate and share work with their team using Jazz source control, request and analyze software builds, and monitor the status of their Eclipse-based development projects using reports and web-based dashboards.

RS815: Mastering Project Administration in IBM Rational Team Concert (Q4 2009)
Mastering Project Administration in IBM Rational Team Concert targets project administrators and team leads. Students learn how to configure Rational Team Concert project areas and processes so that the core IBM practices for agile development and change & release management can be effectively adopted by the project team. This course begins with a discussion of best practices for project planning. Through a balanced combination of presentation, class discussion, and hands-on exercises, students learn how to configure projects, teams, and iterations; configure project and team dashboards; and create queries and reports in Rational Team Concert to support these practices.

Project and Process Customization in IBM Rational Team Concert (TBD)
Project and Process Customization in IBM Rational Team Concert targets process engineers, project administrators and team leads. Students learn how to customize process controls -- adding permissions, pre-conditions, and follow-up actions to meet unique workflow requirements. Creating and customizing work item types to change editor presentations, add attributes, create custom enumerations, etc. is also covered.

Managing Source Control with IBM Rational Team Concert (TBD)
Managing Source Control with IBM Rational Team Concert targets software configuration managers, project administrators, and team leads. Students learn how to integrate Rational Team Concert Source Control with the Team Process and Work Items components of the Jazz technology platform; ensuring that changes to versioned artifacts are properly assigned to change sets, and that these changes sets are associated with work items to provide proper context for the work. Through a combination of presentation, class discussion, and hands-on exercises, students learn to create and work with projects under Rational Team Concert source control. Specific tasks include defining source control streams and component structure, managing workspaces, controlling change flow between streams and workspaces, and resolving conflicts.

Build Management with IBM Rational Team Concert (TBD)
Build Management with IBM Rational Team Concert targets build engineers, project administrators, and team leads. Students learn how to configure a build system to execute and manage Jazz Team Builds.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Sep 04 '09, 5:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Description: Essentials of IBM Rational Team Concert enables software developers to use Rational Team Concert for their day to day development work. Team members learn to join a project, set up their Eclipse and repository workspaces, use work items to manage their work, use Jazz source control, perform builds, and use dashboards and reports to understand project status.

Hi Jim

I have been trying out the course with some cooperative "students" and find it is a really good intro to RTC. I am more used to the Workshop available here on jazz.net - and this course takes a different approach, and I certainly picked up new ways of working that I had not seen before.

The main feedback is that there is very little content on the planning side of RTC. I think we could do with an additional chapter on this.

The student instructions can be a little sparse in places too but this has not caused any major issues so far.

It is also possible to run the course by importing a repository and using the tomcat-users.xml file - but there is something wrong with the build - we could not get that to run.

regards

anthony

permanent link
Jim Tykal (411) | answered Sep 08 '09, 12:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Jim

I have been trying out the course with some cooperative "students" and find it is a really good intro to RTC. I am more used to the Workshop available here on jazz.net - and this course takes a different approach, and I certainly picked up new ways of working that I had not seen before.

The main feedback is that there is very little content on the planning side of RTC. I think we could do with an additional chapter on this.

The student instructions can be a little sparse in places too but this has not caused any major issues so far.

It is also possible to run the course by importing a repository and using the tomcat-users.xml file - but there is something wrong with the build - we could not get that to run.

regards

anthony

Anthony -

Thanks for your feedback! The planning component is coming in the RS815 class, scheduled to be released in Q4.

The RS800 course was designed to be run using the provided VMware image. As you learned, most of the use cases can be supported using repository and tomcat files exported from the image and installed on an existing server instance, but we did not test this environment and do not officially support it. I suspect some tweaking of the build configuration files would be necessary to properly start the build engine and identify the build servers in your environment.

Best Regards,
Jim

permanent link
Murali Dhandapani (11698) | answered Oct 13 '09, 3:32 a.m.
Rational Learning Development is currently working on two instructor-led courses for IBM Rational Team Concert, V2.0:

Mastering Project Administration in IBM Rational Team Concert, V2.0 (2-days)
release date: early Q4, 2009
Description: Mastering Project Administration in IBM Rational Team Concert targets project administrators and team leads. Students learn how to configure Rational Team Concert project areas and processes so that the core IBM practices for agile development and change & release management can be effectively adopted by the project team. Topics include planning projects, teams, and iterations to support continuous integration and test driven development; defining source control streams and component structure; customizing process controls and work items; and customizing Rational Team Concert queries and reports to measure progress and practice adoption. This course can be deployed through traditional classroom (ILT), virtual classroom (ILO), or self-study.

Feel free to contact me directly or simply post your thoughts in this topic thread if you have any questions.

Hi Jim,

Will this course "Mastering Project Administration in IBM Rational Team Concert" be available for download or will it be offered in India..?.

-Muralindia

permanent link
Jim Tykal (411) | answered Nov 17 '09, 2:19 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Jim,

Will this course "Mastering Project Administration in IBM Rational Team Concert" be available for download or will it be offered in India..?.

-Muralindia

The course has been handed off to production, and should be GA sometime in November 2009. Not sure when it will hit the schedule in India...

permanent link
Kevin Crocker (20185) | answered Jan 25 '10, 9:54 a.m.
Hi Jim,

Any word on whether this has made it through production and is GA?

Kevin

Hi Jim,

-Muralindia

The course has been handed off to production, and should be GA sometime in November 2009. Not sure when it will hit the schedule in India...

permanent link
Jim Tykal (166116) | answered Mar 25 '10, 6:03 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Sorry for the late response -- but yes it has! Link for RS815 below. This course is also available as Instructor-led Online (ILO) training -- search for YS815.

http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03001c/services/learning/ites.wss/us/en?pageType=course_search&sortBy=5&searchType=1&sortDirection=9&includeNotScheduled=15&rowStart=0&rowsToReturn=20&maxSearchResults=200&language=en&country=us&searchString=RS815

Hi Jim,

Any word on whether this has made it through production and is GA?

Kevin

Hi Jim,

-Muralindia

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 26 '10, 3:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Jim,

I have developed a set of batch files that can easily be used to to setup the repository for a workshop. It can be used repeatedly to get the students machines setup to a defined state for each exercise. It also automates capturing the content of a repository, user workspaces included with just running a batch file.

I think it is easy to use and helps me since 2008. I use it also to create content for MCIF. I use it to develop starting points as well as to create the slideware. If you think this could be used for your class development contact me directly. so I can share.

Ralph

Hi Jim

regards

anthony

permanent link
Chris Kolde (2172) | answered Aug 02 '10, 7:41 p.m.
Hi Jim,

Any update on the availability of the TBD courses you listed?

UPDATE: Now that we are digging deeper into the topics proposed for the RS815: Mastering Project Administration in IBM Rational Team Concert V2.0 training class, we are realizing that we have a lot more content here than we originally thought. Rather than extend this to a 3-5 day class, we are planning to offer multiple courses, providing more flexibility for you to train only in the topics you need. Here's a rundown of the proposed RTC V2.0 Training Curriculum:

RS800: Essentials of IBM Rational Team Concert (available now)
Essentials of IBM Rational Team Concert V2.0 is a one-day, instructor-led course designed as an introduction to IBM Rational Team Concert for software developers. Students will learn to utilize IBM Rational Team Concert to effective manage their work items, collaborate and share work with their team using Jazz source control, request and analyze software builds, and monitor the status of their Eclipse-based development projects using reports and web-based dashboards.

RS815: Mastering Project Administration in IBM Rational Team Concert (Q4 2009)
Mastering Project Administration in IBM Rational Team Concert targets project administrators and team leads. Students learn how to configure Rational Team Concert project areas and processes so that the core IBM practices for agile development and change & release management can be effectively adopted by the project team. This course begins with a discussion of best practices for project planning. Through a balanced combination of presentation, class discussion, and hands-on exercises, students learn how to configure projects, teams, and iterations; configure project and team dashboards; and create queries and reports in Rational Team Concert to support these practices.

Project and Process Customization in IBM Rational Team Concert (TBD)
Project and Process Customization in IBM Rational Team Concert targets process engineers, project administrators and team leads. Students learn how to customize process controls -- adding permissions, pre-conditions, and follow-up actions to meet unique workflow requirements. Creating and customizing work item types to change editor presentations, add attributes, create custom enumerations, etc. is also covered.

Managing Source Control with IBM Rational Team Concert (TBD)
Managing Source Control with IBM Rational Team Concert targets software configuration managers, project administrators, and team leads. Students learn how to integrate Rational Team Concert Source Control with the Team Process and Work Items components of the Jazz technology platform; ensuring that changes to versioned artifacts are properly assigned to change sets, and that these changes sets are associated with work items to provide proper context for the work. Through a combination of presentation, class discussion, and hands-on exercises, students learn to create and work with projects under Rational Team Concert source control. Specific tasks include defining source control streams and component structure, managing workspaces, controlling change flow between streams and workspaces, and resolving conflicts.

Build Management with IBM Rational Team Concert (TBD)
Build Management with IBM Rational Team Concert targets build engineers, project administrators, and team leads. Students learn how to configure a build system to execute and manage Jazz Team Builds.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.