It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTVS - How to keep track of all my service virtualizations

James Porter (26166) | asked Mar 26 '15, 1:25 p.m.
Suppose I work in an environment with dozens of service-providing applications, resulting in hundreds of interfaces that I want to virtualize. I need to track the status of all the service virtualizations and host them on Rational Test Virtualization Server (RTVS) - status, version, level of emulation, data source needed, real code it emulations, where it's hosted, how to connect to it, etc...

And I need all this information relatively public, so that developers, testers, operations, etc. -- all these folks can reference the information, and a few people can update it.

Does RTVS have this function, or one of the other Rational tools? Or do I need to build a capability around a more generic library control system?

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Mar 26 '15, 2:36 p.m.
edited Mar 26 '15, 2:44 p.m.
What you are asking for I call a (Virtual) Service Catalog.

in my mind, one would upload the service definition, whose key data elements would be extracted to the catalog listing, and a link to any known RTVS servers housing this definition would be added to the library entry info.

I also want to be able to deploy one or more of these services on the fly to a dynamically constructed RTVS server for automated testing purposes.  so I need an api to allow me to search by name/version, and other user defined criteria, to locate and consume (download/transfer/...) the service definition and info on any existing instances.

I built a prototype Docker container deployment of the products to demonstrate the capability of dynamic construction, but did not have a catalog capability.

I did not get a chance during the project to do the introspection of the service definition to find the data I would have put in the catalog.

permanent link
James Porter (26166) | answered Mar 27 '15, 1:09 p.m.
 I learned today that the Rational Test Control Panel - the web-gui front-end to Rational Test Virtualization Server, does the function I'm looking for. Information on RTCP is available at 

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSBLQQ_8.7.0/com.ibm.rational.rtcp.sysadmin.doc/topics/c_rtcpadmin_intro.html

Enjoy

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.