It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to get the creation date of a relation?

Daniel Llin Ferrero (3128) | asked Feb 04 '15, 5:07 a.m.
edited Feb 04 '15, 6:46 a.m.
 Hello there,

we're "piloting" RTC for project planning since over a year now within our company. We heavily use the REST reporting API with Python scripts for several use cases. We're using RTC 4.0.4.

Now we need the history of an items relations or at least the creation date of a specific relation for our scripts. I didn't find any clue how to get that info. Even in the web and the desktop client I can't find the information at what time a relation was created.

Can anybody please tell me how to get that info via the clients and the REST API?

Thanks!
Daniel

Comments
sam detweiler commented Feb 04 '15, 7:09 a.m.

Can you please describe a little more.. what is a relation?  do you mean linked item?

Daniel Llin Ferrero commented Feb 04 '15, 7:38 a.m. | edited Feb 04 '15, 7:39 a.m.

Hi! For me, a relation is the object that "links" from one item to another. So, I don't mean a linked item "itself" but the relation between two linked items. Standard process templates have relation types like "parent", "depends on", "duplicate of" and so on. If I, for example, define an item A as child of item B, I create a new relation between A and B. This relation is typed (parent/child) and directed (A and B have different roles: child and parent). My problem now is, that I want to inspect the relations for a given item with their history. Getting the currently defined relations with the reporting REST API is no problem, but there is no historical information about the relation. It's also not possible to get information about already deleted relations. My primary demand is to get the creation date of an existing relation.

BTW: The reporting REST API provides a full sequence of all "historical records" of an item and each of them contains relation information. BUT: The data in each history record just reflects the current situation. This is confusing and "not right".

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Feb 04 '15, 8:00 a.m.
great info, thanks for the additional clarity..  As you have noticed there is no historical info saved on the creation or deletion of links. this has been mentioned before and I think a request for enhancement was added.

net: what you want is not available today.

Comments
Daniel Llin Ferrero commented Feb 05 '15, 3:56 a.m.

Thanks for the info, even it's disappointing... :)

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 05 '15, 12:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Tracking the addition/removal of links in the history of a work item was added in RTC-5.0.2.
See [CCM] Track link changes in work item history (314953)

Comments
Daniel Llin Ferrero commented Feb 05 '15, 4:09 a.m.

Thanks Geoffrey! Thanks for the answer! The work item you've mentioned lists the acceptance test:

"The link history is interweaved with the rest of the history content for the work item and sorted by time."

It's not totally clear for me what that means. Do you know if the relations history is then correctly available in the resporting REST API's history records as every other attribute?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 06 '15, 12:04 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'll need to defer to our HTTP API experts on the question of whether this information is available through an HTTP API, or whether you would need to use the Java API.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.