It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I checkout the same project from two different streams?

David Wood (1968) | asked Jan 08 '15, 9:32 a.m.
I copied a project into another component of another stream.  I would like to have both projects (from both streams) checked out in my workspace.  How do I do that? 

I tried Pending Changes-><2nd Stream Component>->Show Repository Files->Load As... to give the project another name in the sandbox, but that did not completely work.  The resulting project is out of sync and then not connected to the repository workspace.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 11 '15, 6:59 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

We'll need some more information to answer.
First, note that in RTC, one does not "checkout projects in a workspace".
A  workspace can accept changes from a stream, and a workspace can be loaded into a sandbox.
It sounds like you are trying to load files from a workspace into a sandbox, right?
When you say "project", do you mean "Eclipse project"?
And when you are loading the files, do you just want them loaded into the file system, or do you also want them loaded into an Eclipse instance as Eclipse projects?

David Wood commented Jan 11 '15, 9:42 p.m.

Yes, you're assumptions are correct.  I'm trying to Load a project from for two different streams that have the same project name (in Eclipse).  Ultimately, I want them both visible in the same Eclipse workspace so that I can do comparisons.

3 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 11 '15, 10:59 p.m.
edited Jan 11 '15, 11:00 p.m.
Eclipse will not let you load two different versions of the same project into the same Eclipse workspace, so you would have to modify the .project file of one of the projects to give the project a different name.   Once you have done that to one of the projects, you will be able to load both projects into the same Eclipse workspace.   There are a couple of ways to do that ... one is to use "Load as" to load both RTC repository workspaces into the same RTC sandbox (into different directories of that sandbox).   The other is to have two sandboxes in the Eclipse workspace (a separate sandbox for each RTC repository workspace).

Comments
David Wood commented Jan 15 '15, 2:09 p.m.

Using CVS, one can do Check out as... and get a copy of the project checked out into the same Eclipse workspace using a different name for the project.  I don't have to change the .project file to make this happen.  I would have expected Load As... to enable the same thing, but as you seemed to warn about, I get the following:

Failure mapping project JavaSpatiotemporalToolkitSWG : Resource '/JavaSpatiotemporalToolkit' already exists.

Since CVS does not have a problem with this, I consider this a problem with RTC and not Eclipse.  Any other options here?

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 12 '15, 4:31 a.m.
edited Jan 12 '15, 4:31 a.m.
In addition, if you want to compare the code of different versions of the same project, I would suggest to use the SCM compare operations available. That is what they are there for. They do not require the code to be loaded twice.

permanent link
Christian Morgan (317714) | answered Jan 15 '15, 3:45 p.m.

You can do this if you load the first project into your local sandbox and in the eclipse package explorer refactor--rename the project itself, add a suffix of some kind.  Then load the second project from the other stream/repo workspace (just make sure to load it into a unique local sandbox).  When you refactor/rename the eclispe project it does not rename the sandbox parent project folder, more a logical update for the project name in the .project file.

There may be unintended consequences for the project where the project name is somehow referenced in the code but there shouldn't be.

Only method I know of other than running two separate instances of eclipse with unique workspaces and loading/opening the projects independently.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.