It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Use of generic login ID for RTC CCM application

james hays (879) | asked Dec 15 '14, 9:46 a.m.
 I've been asked to scope out the use of RTC's CCM application to replace a legacy Change Management process. Knowing RTC needs a project area with Team Members and Roles I am wondering if I could use a common login ID intead of the entire company's ldap to be part of the project area? Also if that is possible can two people using the same generic ID enter a change request at the "same time"? If this is possible are there any documentation or guidance on how to set that up. I also need to modify the change request forms too and need help on how to do that as well...Many thanks!

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Dec 15 '14, 9:50 a.m.
edited Dec 15 '14, 9:55 a.m.
you can configure the project area to let anyone view and/or edit.. they do NOT need to be members of the project area.   By default the 'Everyone' role should apply.  You need to set the project access control to Everyone.

from the process config in eclipse (bold is mine)

"Roles grant users permissions and determine the preconditions and follow-up actions that run. Roles assigned here are inherited in all team areas within this project area. All users in the repository have the Everyone (default) role whether they are a member or not."

'change request' between applications is very limited.. if you had something else in mind.. please describe it.

oh, and I am against the generic ID cause you lose all kinds of traceability and auditing.

Comments
james hays commented Dec 15 '14, 12:38 p.m.

Thanks for your quick response...so Everyone is only the folks defined as users to RTC which is a subset of the entire company that may need access...so are you saying that they all have to be defined in RTC versus using a generic ID and having another field on the form to add their REAL id WHICH IN GE'S CASE IS AN SSO NUMBER (EMPLOYEE NUMBER)?

sam detweiler commented Dec 15 '14, 12:47 p.m.

Correct, Everyone is RTC's perspective of the world.  One can configure the LDAP group that maps users to RTC, such that 'all' employees are added.

If there is a field on the form that requires additional identification, then a generic userid is not so bad. Usually one isn't that lucky!

permanent link
Jim Bastl (1122) | answered Dec 15 '14, 4:32 p.m.
 I work for a consulting firm that specializes in Rational and I concur whole heartedly with Sam's comment about the use of a generic id.  The audit aspects are auspicious AND it's a technical violation of IBM's licensing policy.  There's ways to be in compliance via floating licenses or tokens.  Yes, it does cost more, but it will cost plenty if the software police shows up!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.