It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to use split task functionality ( similar to mpp) in RTC planning

Pavithra Kasturirangan (42956056) | asked Aug 08 '14, 8:27 a.m.

Hi Experts,

We use formal process template. For some projects, we are required to split the task times.

Say for example, 
In this scenario  i have the two Enhancements under the same Epic kind workitem and have the tasks assigned to the team members,
Enh1
|_Task1  OwnerA    Estimate 15 days
|_Task2 ( successor of Task1)  owner B Estimate 3 days

Enh2
|_Task1  Owner B Estimate 4 days
|_Task2 ( Successor of Task1) owner A Estimate 2days

When Task1 under Enh1 is a big task and in between, if i want Owner A to finish a review in 2 days for Task2 under Enh2, how can this be achieved in RTC planning ?
I'm looking for something very similar to the split functionality in MPP.
I need to be able to put a hold on the current working item and assign another task to the person. If i will use constraint type and assign dates, it will be very manual tracking of the project work.

How can the split functionality be used in RTC planning easily ? 

Accepted answer

permanent link
N Z (36212127) | answered Aug 10 '14, 7:01 p.m.
 What would be more productive? To try and come up with work arounds and then work with those limitations, or to have the PM's manage their plan in MPP and use RTC for collaboration and communication on those items?

As Ralph said, RTC is geared more towards agile planning, the formal management process is fairly weak. There are important features missing to make it useful.

We've gone through a similar exercise to you, coming from a PM background, I could not work with it, when we demo it to other PM's they all say they same.

Which is a shame, several key features would probably make it useful, and would also open up the product to a whole range of non-software development projects.

Anyway, I know this is not the sort of response you were looking for, but in all honesty, it's the only one I can give. No plans of even moderate complexity can be managed with the formal process template.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Aug 08 '14, 8:47 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 08 '14, 8:47 a.m.
Pavithra,

Rational Team Concert traditional planning does not provide that kind of fine control or capabilities. You would have to manually split the tasks up and create the schedule dependencies.

The intention of RTC planning was, as far as I am aware, never to allow micro level planning. The intention was to allow responsible users, especially in agile teams, to organize their work and be able to execute on it. E.g. users would look into their dashboards, see that there are pending approvals the have to act upon and do it.

Comments
Pavithra Kasturirangan commented Aug 09 '14, 2:25 a.m. | edited Aug 13 '14, 4:40 a.m.

Thank you for your answer, Ralph

The formal process template is to accommodate the non-agile teams i believe. In which case, the functionalities in the formal process template based planning is very limited. I'm trying to find atleast workarounds to get my management teams use RTC planning for project management. I get struck at number of places using the plan for a non agile based practices. 

Ahmed Omair commented Aug 10 '14, 10:02 a.m.

how about try creating two children tasks for the main task you created.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.