It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC: requirement needs to be opened

donatella sabellico (611) | asked May 30 '14, 5:57 a.m.
edited May 30 '14, 7:19 a.m. by Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.5k480103)
Hi, I work on TWS (tivoli workload scheduler) product Dev/L3 and we need to open an ER to RTC.
Where can i open it?

Scenario:

- N code stream to be maintained (each one is related to a different field release)
- Defect is open on N releases and we need to port the code change also on the other releases N+1 N+2 N+3
Actually we have 2 issues:
1) using one single defect to load the code changes on different stream caused that as soon the defect is verified on N release it is closed and then we had the risk on escape on the other releases since the defect is closed.

2) Another issue is that we need to load the code change on ALL different releases at same time since if we did not do that we can loose the knowledge on which releases are impacted for this code change since there is "no" track that will allow us to automatically knows that.

In the past we used a tool called CMVC with which with 1 single defect we were able to open "different" tracks so in an automatic way we were able to understand 1.the releases impacted for one single defect 2.and to have a clear backlog of all the changes that needs still to be done for single release.

We need basically to find an "automated" way to maintain ALL different releases with different code changes and stream.

Thanks

2 answers

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.5k480103) | answered May 30 '14, 7:33 a.m.
Hi Donatella,
The standard procedure contacting with the support is opening new PMR. Then they escalate it internally to RTC L3/dev if necessary.

Anyway what you exactly want to have is not to open ER for RTC but get the answers on your questions (in whichever way)

Here are the answers how your problems are coped in RTC maintenance:
1. In RTC there is always opened a defect for the issue. There is changeset delivered for main stream in this defect. The defect is closed once the change set has been delivered.
2. For every version there is created separated task requesting for backporting defect from 1. For each task there is delivered separated changeset for each stream. The task can be closed once at the same time when we open defect for 1. Each task can be closed once change set is delivered to given maintenance stream.

I know that there is the same process also in Eclipse project.

3. What else you can do is to create new story work item for each defect. The story can contain defect from 1 and all tasks from 2. Then you can track there in which versions the change has been delivered and close the story once all its children are fixed.

Let me know if my explanation helped.

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k9186201) | answered May 30 '14, 12:59 p.m.
You asked:

Hi, I work on TWS (tivoli workload scheduler) product Dev/L3 and we need to open an ER to RTC.
Where can i open it?

http://www.ibm.com/developerWorks/rfe  [ just as customers create RFE for TWS ]

Brand: Rational

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.