It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Oracle repotools table-creation mystery

Mervyn Keene (171177) | asked Mar 25 '09, 12:19 p.m.
I've been having repeated problems getting Oracle set up with Jazz. After trying many times following the instructions exactly, I talked with someone who's seen it done successfully and he says the output I get from repotools is bogus. Here's what I see - it reports success but not much output. My friend says that when repotools works, it dumps a few pages of verbosity like "created table XXXX ...".

The subsequent errors I get from the Jazz server are completely consistent with tables being missing. So it appears that somehow repotools is telling me confidently that the tables are there but they're not.

I'm just hoping this triggers someone's memory. I do believe I've followed instructions exactly. The one variance I can think of is that for granting permissions to jazzDBuser I say "GRANT ALL PERMISSIONS TO jazzDBuser;" which sounds pretty wide open but possibly there are permission levels beyond "ALL"?

C:\jazz\server>repotools -createTables
Repo Tools, Version 1.0.1.1 - M20090225-1543
Provisioning using "C:\jazz\server\\provision_profiles".
Rational Jazz Team Server - Standard
Loading configuration from "file:teamserver.properties".
Attempting Initial Database Connection Using
Db Name/Location: thin:xxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxx@localhost:1521:ORCL
Initial database connection successful
Db Product Name: Oracle
Db Product Version: Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options
Db URL: jdbc:oracle:thin:jazzDBuser/jazzDBpswd@localhost:1521:ORCL
Jdbc Driver Name: Oracle JDBC driver
Jdbc Driver Version: 10.2.0.3.0

Creating the tables for the database "thin:xxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxx@localhost:1521:ORCL" with indices.
The database tables were created successfully.

4 answers

permanent link
Balaji Krish (1.8k12) | answered Mar 25 '09, 4:56 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Repotools -createTables does not print verbose output about the db tables created (I believe your friend must have changed the log4j.properties to print all the sql statement executed by repotools command).

If the tables are not created, you might have a problem with the provisioned repotools.

Can you try a repotools -createTables -clean

This will reprovision the bundles and recreate the database.

The following article has good information about the permissions you need to grant to the Oracle user.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=3488&context=SSCP65&context=SSSTY3&q1=oracle&uid=swg21321951&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

--- Balaji
Jazz Server Team

I've been having repeated problems getting Oracle set up with Jazz. After trying many times following the instructions exactly, I talked with someone who's seen it done successfully and he says the output I get from repotools is bogus. Here's what I see - it reports success but not much output. My friend says that when repotools works, it dumps a few pages of verbosity like "created table XXXX ...".

The subsequent errors I get from the Jazz server are completely consistent with tables being missing. So it appears that somehow repotools is telling me confidently that the tables are there but they're not.

I'm just hoping this triggers someone's memory. I do believe I've followed instructions exactly. The one variance I can think of is that for granting permissions to jazzDBuser I say "GRANT ALL PERMISSIONS TO jazzDBuser;" which sounds pretty wide open but possibly there are permission levels beyond "ALL"?

C:\jazz\server>repotools -createTables
Repo Tools, Version 1.0.1.1 - M20090225-1543
Provisioning using "C:\jazz\server\\provision_profiles".
Rational Jazz Team Server - Standard
Loading configuration from "file:teamserver.properties".
Attempting Initial Database Connection Using
Db Name/Location: thin:xxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxx@localhost:1521:ORCL
Initial database connection successful
Db Product Name: Oracle
Db Product Version: Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options
Db URL: jdbc:oracle:thin:jazzDBuser/jazzDBpswd@localhost:1521:ORCL
Jdbc Driver Name: Oracle JDBC driver
Jdbc Driver Version: 10.2.0.3.0

Creating the tables for the database "thin:xxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxx@localhost:1521:ORCL" with indices.
The database tables were created successfully.

permanent link
Mervyn Keene (171177) | answered Mar 26 '09, 8:16 a.m.
Balaji,

Thanks, that solved the problem. Jazz is now working fine with Oracle, at least in my limited initial testing, after adding the -clean flag.

I don't understand why -clean helped though - I had come from a clean place to start with (fresh Oracle 10g install on Windows XP) and issued a "GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES TO jazzDBuser" before running repotools -createTables. It reported success, but then the Jazz server reported missing tables. I then discovered the URL you posted and tried adding those privileges (I don't know how any of those grants could go beyond the original "ALL" but then I'm not an Oracle expert) and tried repotools again and it again reported success but failed the same way. At that point I got your post and added -clean and it worked. So the only thing I can think of is that some of the additional grants were needed but didn't work right without a clean rebuild of the DB.

Two followup questions: (a) is it possible that "GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES" is insufficient? and (b) given that there's an undocumented -clean flag, is there a similarly undocumented -verbose or similar? I tried -verbose and it's not under that name.

FYI, I plan to file 2 defects unless you say they're already addressed:

1. The -clean flag is undocumented (minor)
2. Repotools reports success when it actually failed (major).

Thank you very much,
MK

permanent link
Balaji Krish (1.8k12) | answered Mar 26 '09, 10:58 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Did you do an update from previous release of Jazz ? Sometimes the repotools does not pick up the latest changes. -clean is a OSGI option. By using -clean, it cleans up the configuration folder and reprovisions all the plugins / features available.

The problem is not with repotools. It uses the bundles available in configuration folder to create the tables.

--- Balaji
Jazz Server Team

Balaji,

Thanks, that solved the problem. Jazz is now working fine with Oracle, at least in my limited initial testing, after adding the -clean flag.

I don't understand why -clean helped though - I had come from a clean place to start with (fresh Oracle 10g install on Windows XP) and issued a "GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES TO jazzDBuser" before running repotools -createTables. It reported success, but then the Jazz server reported missing tables. I then discovered the URL you posted and tried adding those privileges (I don't know how any of those grants could go beyond the original "ALL" but then I'm not an Oracle expert) and tried repotools again and it again reported success but failed the same way. At that point I got your post and added -clean and it worked. So the only thing I can think of is that some of the additional grants were needed but didn't work right without a clean rebuild of the DB.

Two followup questions: (a) is it possible that "GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES" is insufficient? and (b) given that there's an undocumented -clean flag, is there a similarly undocumented -verbose or similar? I tried -verbose and it's not under that name.

FYI, I plan to file 2 defects unless you say they're already addressed:

1. The -clean flag is undocumented (minor)
2. Repotools reports success when it actually failed (major).

Thank you very much,
MK

permanent link
Mervyn Keene (171177) | answered Mar 26 '09, 4:04 p.m.
No, it was an absolutely clean new install of 1.0.1.1 on a fresh new VM.

Seems to me that since repotools.bat ends up running com.ibm.team.repotools.rcp.repotools_application, clearly an IBM product, it could certainly document the OSGi option(s) even if it doesn't control the underlying functionality.

BTW, is there a way to find out what the OSGi options are?

Thanks again,
MK

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.