It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to validate fields so that a Due date is later than a Start date?

Ann Scanlan (622) | asked Mar 05 '14, 9:06 a.m.
I have customized a presentation and have two fields: a Start Date and a Due Date. I want the Start Date to mark the beginning of the project, and the Due Date to mark the end of the project (i.e. the date that the project is due).

I want to validate the Due Date field so that users cannot enter a date that is before the Start Date. For example, if the start date is 15 March 2014, I don't want someone to enter 12 March 2014 in the Due Date field.

Any ideas on how I can do this?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 05 '14, 10:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 05 '14, 10:40 a.m.
one possible approach would be attribute customization using JavaScript. See https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/AttributeCustomization and https://jazz.net/library/article/1093 Lab 5 for how to use attribute customization in general and using Java Script.

I have done that kind of validation already and it works.

Here example script code that does some of the computation needed:
/*******************************************************************************
 * Licensed Materials - Property of IBM
 * (c) Copyright IBM Corporation 2011. All Rights Reserved.
 * Note to U.S. Government Users Restricted Rights:  
 * Use, duplication or disclosure restricted by GSA ADP Schedule 
 * Contract with IBM Corp. 
 *******************************************************************************/
dojo.provide("org.example.DateValidator_30_days_later");

dojo.require("com.ibm.team.workitem.api.common.WorkItemAttributes"); // To access the work item attributes
dojo.require("com.ibm.team.workitem.api.common.Status"); // To create a status object to return
dojo.require("com.ibm.team.workitem.api.common.Severity"); // To create a severity for the status
dojo.require("dojo.date"); // We need the date class from Dojo to compare two dates
dojo.require("dojo.date.stamp"); // We need the stamp class to work with ISO date strings

(function() {
var Severity = com.ibm.team.workitem.api.common.Severity;
var Status = com.ibm.team.workitem.api.common.Status;

var DateValidator = dojo.declare("org.example.DateValidator_30_days_later", null, {

validate: function(attributeId, workItem, configuration) {

var severity= "ERROR"; 
        var message= "Date must be at least 30 days from now"; 

// Work Item new: not initialized - provides todays date. Once created provides the creation date 
        var beginDate = dojo.date.stamp.fromISOString(workItem.getValue("com.ibm.team.workitem.attribute.creationdate")); 
        // Get the current attribute's value and make a Date object from it
        console.log("I got: ["+workItem.getValue(attributeId)+"]");
        var endDate= dojo.date.stamp.fromISOString(workItem.getValue(attributeId));        
        // Compare the two dates returns negative value due to order
        var compare = -(dojo.date.difference(endDate, beginDate, "day"));
        if (compare>= 30) { // make sure endDate is not earlier than beginDate + 30
            return Status.OK_STATUS;
        } else {
            return new Status(Severity[severity], message + " current value: [" +endDate + "] and difference is " + compare);
        }
    }
});
})();

Please note, you need to activate the operational behavior to prevent from saving. See the workshop and the other link.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.