It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Auto trigger status change between parent-child work items

Don Yang (7.7k21114139) | asked Feb 18 '14, 5:41 a.m.
RTC 4.0.5 used.

The user's requirement is either parent or child work item has status change, it should trigger the other side's status change automatically(All Children Resolved   --> "Requires that a work item can only be resolved if all of its children are resolved."  won't help). Is there any way to achieve that?
I am thinking dependency script based value but not sure if it would work for the workflow(status).
Does anyone have any ideas or we have to go to pre-condition/follow-up extension for the request?

Thank you very much in advance.

Comments
Don Yang commented Feb 18 '14, 5:58 a.m.

Sam,

thanks for the quick response. I actually happened to find out the same info from other post in which Ralph provided his blog link just now before I saw your info. I guess it is close to the one I am after. Can you please put your comments as an answer so that I can accept it as the right answer? Thanks

sam detweiler commented Feb 18 '14, 6:00 a.m.

no problem.. we also want the other side.. if a child starts, the parent should be started.. I have that on my list to do.  our Scrum Masters spend an hour a day fiddling with states to keep this accurate..

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Feb 18 '14, 5:44 a.m.
there is nothing supplied with the product to do this..
Ralph has a sample participant that will close a parent if all its children are now closed (from the last closing child)

http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/11/27/resolve-parent-if-all-children-are-resolved-participant/
Don Yang selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Don Yang commented Feb 18 '14, 6:07 a.m.

thanks Sam

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.