It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Auto trigger status change between parent-child work items

Don Yang (7.2k2194127) | asked Feb 18 '14, 5:41 a.m.
RTC 4.0.5 used.

The user's requirement is either parent or child work item has status change, it should trigger the other side's status change automatically(All Children Resolved   --> "Requires that a work item can only be resolved if all of its children are resolved."  won't help). Is there any way to achieve that?
I am thinking dependency script based value but not sure if it would work for the workflow(status).
Does anyone have any ideas or we have to go to pre-condition/follow-up extension for the request?

Thank you very much in advance.

Comments
Don Yang commented Feb 18 '14, 5:58 a.m.

Sam,

thanks for the quick response. I actually happened to find out the same info from other post in which Ralph provided his blog link just now before I saw your info. I guess it is close to the one I am after. Can you please put your comments as an answer so that I can accept it as the right answer? Thanks

sam detweiler commented Feb 18 '14, 6:00 a.m.

no problem.. we also want the other side.. if a child starts, the parent should be started.. I have that on my list to do.  our Scrum Masters spend an hour a day fiddling with states to keep this accurate..

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.4k6179201) | answered Feb 18 '14, 5:44 a.m.
there is nothing supplied with the product to do this..
Ralph has a sample participant that will close a parent if all its children are now closed (from the last closing child)

http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/11/27/resolve-parent-if-all-children-are-resolved-participant/
Don Yang selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Don Yang commented Feb 18 '14, 6:07 a.m.

thanks Sam

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.