It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Displaying Notifications in RTC

Raza Abbas Syed (164) | asked Feb 12 '09, 10:12 p.m.
I'm a newbie to JAZZ and RTC and am currently exploring how to display a notification to the user on a particular event. I went through the tutorial https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/FoundationNotifierTutorial

It tells me to "Use the com.ibm.team.foundation.rcp.core.notifier extension point" to "contribute" a notifier. What does that exactly mean? Do I create a new class extending that? Just a bit confused about where to start.

Thanks in Advance!

4 answers

permanent link
Work Item & UI Commons Team (1.3k1) | answered Feb 13 '09, 5:19 a.m.
To use the extension point you add it to the plugin.xml of your bundle after adding a dependency to com.ibm.team.foundation.rcp.core. When you add it, the editor asks you for a class that implements Notifier. This class would live in the same bundle and gets loaded in RTC automatically.

permanent link
Raza Abbas Syed (164) | answered Feb 14 '09, 11:16 a.m.
Thank you for your response.

I added two `extension` tags to the plugin.xml file as directed in the notifier tutorial. However, I fail to see any event types or event added to the `Windows > Preferences > Notifications` window.

Just to be sure, I extended the abstract Notifier class and wrote some code for the notify method. For eventcategory and eventtype tags in plugin.xml, although I specified their id just like I would for any class, I do not need to create a separate class for them right?

Just a bit confused regarding that. I'm pretty sure that the syntax of my plugin.xml is right since I used intellisense to write it all and I don't get any warnings/errors on it.

permanent link
Work Item & UI Commons Team (1.3k1) | answered Feb 16 '09, 4:23 a.m.
You need to use the extension point "Notification" in foundation.rcp.core to contribute a event category and type so that a user can enable a notification for this type.

permanent link
Work Item & UI Commons Team (1.3k1) | answered Feb 16 '09, 4:23 a.m.
This is also covered by the tutorial you read in https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/FoundationNotifierTutorial#Contributing_an_Event_Category_w

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.