It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Burndown chart calculation in RTC

Naweed Jaulim (632732) | asked Aug 05 '13, 11:46 a.m.
 Hi,

I have a burndown chart which is giving me a flat horizontal line. Would anyone know what are the criterias this chart picks up to calculate remaining work and giving the flat line?? 

Or what specific conditions does it look at to display the data? 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Naweed

3 answers

permanent link
Zachary Demers (20137) | answered Aug 05 '13, 11:56 a.m.
Hi Naweed,

Here is a technote about how the ideal line is calculated in a burndown report.

Comments
Naweed Jaulim commented Aug 06 '13, 8:05 a.m.

Hi zachary,

Thanks for the technote, so just to ensure that I have understood this correctly, see scenario below:

RTC version: 4.0.1
Iteration: 01 June - 15 June

tasks added on 16 June - no included in chart
tasks added before iteration starts and estimate added on 10 June - no included.

Thanks.

Zachary Demers commented Aug 06 '13, 4:06 p.m.

Hi Naweed,

The burndown report only calculates work items between the beginning to end time of the iteration.  The timeline of the report is the horizontal line and the first and last point correspond to the start and end date of the iteration.  If you create a work item outside the start or end date, it will not be included in the burndown report.

You can fix this by extending the start or end date of the iteration.  It will require you to run the ETL jobs before the change take effect.

permanent link
Naweed Jaulim (632732) | answered Jul 03 '14, 8:18 a.m.

Hi Rhishikesh,

The burn down will use estimates and time remaining which you have in your tasks to calculate the trend.

I am not sure if you can configure the widget to look at story points instead(you may have to an support ticket with IBM)

If you want to use story points and sprints, you may want to look at the advanced release burn down which uses story points instead of estimates.

Hope this helps.

permanent link
Rhishikesh Patil (1311827) | answered Jul 03 '14, 8:09 a.m.
We have similar problem with RTC 4.0.1 for one project. I tried to run the Burn down graph but it displayed flat line. Then i noticed data collection job last run was 20th Jun. After running data collection i retried to generate the report but same result.
The complexity attribute is Story points and Sprints are only contains stories with story point filled for all of them. There are no Task/defects below story. Iteration Start and End Dates are present for the iteration. Could you please help me if some specific setting are missing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.