It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[closed] Work Item ID numbering

Sudhakar Frederick (80113631) | asked Dec 04 '08, 2:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
closed Jan 11 '21, 4:31 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)
Hi

Would there be a way to make the work item IDs for each project area
unique an dsequenial for each project area? That is, when I create a new
project area the WI numbering should be restarted from 1.

Thanks
Freddy

Comments
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Jan 11 '21, 3:42 a.m.
Hi Sudhakar,
This is interesting question. However to you have any business justification for this feature?

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 11 '21, 4:35 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Krzys, This is a very old question, and Freddy is unfortunately no longer in the Jumpstart team and involved with the Jazz products as far as I know.

Requirements like this have come up several times over the past years. We have nothing in the product to support this, it is however possible to create some custom artificial ID e.g. using https://github.com/jazz-community/rtc-workitem-numbering or similar approaches.

The question has been closed for the following reason: "The question is answered, right answer was accepted" by rschoon Jan 11 '21, 4:31 a.m.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Bartosz Chrabski (3.4k12749) | answered Dec 23 '20, 8:26 p.m.

Freddy,

Unfortunately, in EWM (RTC), work items are numbered on the basis of the server, not the project. Nothing has changed here and there is no way to change this in the system configuration.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Dec 24 '20, 6:03 a.m.
This is correct. However this extension might be useful for certain requirements: https://github.com/jazz-community/rtc-workitem-numbering .

In general it would be possible to create an additioanl project area ID using such extensions that are only unique in a project area.

Davyd Norris commented Dec 27 '20, 9:07 p.m. | edited Dec 28 '20, 4:32 p.m.

You realise this question is 12 years old? I know nothing's changed but I think Freddie may no longer care about the answer :-)

Bartosz Chrabski commented Dec 28 '20, 9:33 a.m. | edited Dec 28 '20, 4:32 p.m.

Davyd,

I think I considered that when I was responding to this question. Other people are using forum to search for answers to their questions so I do not think it was lost time :). 

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 28 '20, 4:28 p.m. | edited Dec 28 '20, 4:33 p.m.
I value your contrbutions Davyd, Bartosz.

As a moderator, I have decided to accept the answer. It is still true. And I decided to provide additional information. The answer is interesting for the forum. It likely does have no value for Freddy any more, unfortunately.

(Shout out to Freddy from Germany, if you read this, it was a blast to meet in India and to have you on the team. Hope you are doing well down under.)

I would like to ask Davyd and Bartosz to consider using comments and not answers when contemplating the past.

Thanks,

Ralph