It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how to make enumeration type of attribute a mandatory field with pop up to select a value?

Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | asked Apr 23 '13, 3:41 a.m.
In v4.0.1, we can create a new enumeration type of attribute as mandatory. however, like how priority attribute works, even though it is marked as mandatory, because there is a default value set for the attribute such as Unassigned for Priority, when saving a new workitem, we can still save it even though Priority is set as default Unassigned.
What we expect is when saving a workitem and the custom field(enumeration type) would prompt the user to select a value, similar to how file against work when it is set as mandatory(a pop up prompts the user to select the project etc). Is that possible to achieve that?
Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 23 '13, 4:26 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Don,

you basically set the enumeration property Unassigned Literal to the default literal e.g. "Unassigned". Once you did that the Operational behavior considers the unassigned value as not being one of the values that are considered mandatory. The default for the Priority Enumeration for the unassigned literal was None and I changed it so unassigned like below and I was prevented to save. The same should apply to custom enumerations.

Don Yang selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Don Yang commented Apr 23 '13, 7:48 p.m.

Thank you very much for the answers.
I actually tested the same before posting the questions. I shut down the server and restarted it and I now see the client rejects Save when custom enumeration is set as Unassigned, I don't know why priority still not working if it is set as Unassigned(I can save). I am wondering when we add precondition, do we need to restart the server or at least logout the client to make it work?(I do see it is effective immediately when I set file against as required attribute)

Don Yang commented Apr 23 '13, 8:38 p.m.

Sorry, I misunderstood your info. If Unassigned literal is not set, then I can save the workitem even though the enumeration is mandatory. If I set Unassigned literal, then I don't need to restart the server or logout the client, it will consider Unassigned as non-correct value and won't allow me to save the workitem.

One other answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Apr 23 '13, 8:18 a.m.
there is no prompting support for anything other than category.  this is special code for that one attribute

Comments
Don Yang commented Apr 23 '13, 7:48 p.m.

Thank you very much for the info.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.