It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

'Save Work Item' operation cannot be completed

jyothi rachakonda (1145) | asked Apr 09 '13, 5:51 p.m.

Hello,

I have written an extension to "com.ibm.team.repository.service.asynchronousTask" to modify work items and save at some intervals.

I am getting the below Exception while saving work item with “approve” work flow when the user is not ADMIN (server default user).

com.ibm.team.process.common.advice.TeamOperationCanceledException: CRJAZ6053E The 'Save Work Item' operation cannot be completed. Permission is required to complete the operation. For more details, open the help system and search for CRJAZ6053E.

Here is the scenario:

1)      If I use a non-admin user id (which has Permissions) I get the error while saving the work item. But same user can save work item from WebUI.

<configurationProperty
                accessPolicy="OPEN"
                default="myadmin"
                description="User"
                displayableName="User"
                name="task.runAsUser"
                required="true"
                type="STRING"
                updatePolicy="NO_RESTART_REQUIRED">
</configurationProperty>

2) If I use ADMIN user, save work item works fine.
<configurationProperty
                accessPolicy="OPEN"
                default="ADMIN"
                description="User"
                displayableName="User"
                name="task.runAsUser"
                required="true"
                type="STRING"
                updatePolicy="NO_RESTART_REQUIRED">
</configurationProperty>

Could you please help me in this regard.

Comments
Kot T. commented Apr 10 '13, 8:54 a.m. | edited Apr 12 '13, 10:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Could you check in the ccm.log and see if it gives more details on what permission it is looking for when the save failed?

jyothi rachakonda commented Apr 10 '13, 11:31 a.m. | edited Apr 12 '13, 10:43 a.m.

Hi Kot,

I have looked in the ccm.log and there isn't any detailed error description.

........saving.....
2013-04-10 11:18:31,642 [ ccm: AsynchronousTaskRunner-3] ERROR    - Error While Approving the work item com.ibm.team.process.common.advice.TeamOperationCanceledException: CRJAZ6053E The 'Save Work Item' operation cannot be completed. Permission is required to complete the operation. For more details, open the help system and search for CRJAZ6053E.

Also I have tested giving Repository permissions (JazzAdmins,
JazzProjectAdmins) to  "non-admin"user . It did not work.

Thank you very much. Any help would be appreciated.

Jared Burns commented Apr 10 '13, 4:48 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You mention that the user myadmin can save workitems from the web ui. But have you tried making the exact same type of change that your task is making? That is, have you tried modifying the same fields of the workitem as your task? It sounds like your permissions are set up in a way that allows myadmin to modify some fields but not others.

jyothi rachakonda commented Apr 11 '13, 10:50 a.m.

Hi Burns,

Yes , I did exactly the same change from webUI.

Monika Gupta commented Oct 01 '13, 2:01 a.m.

Hi Jyoti

I am facing the exact issue as yours, you could resolve the same? if so, pls let me know as well.

Thanks

One answer

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Apr 10 '13, 5:03 p.m.
Hi Jyothi,

From the project area> permissions you can check if the role(s) that you have assigned to the non-admin user have "save work items" rights or not and also if the user has been assigned a valid license.

Comments
jyothi rachakonda commented Apr 11 '13, 10:56 a.m.

Hi Indradri,

non-admin user does have the permissions to save work item and also given the Administrator role for the project area.

and regarding the "valid license", non-admin user is given valid developer license but I have no idea what other licenses are needed to have.. Please help me in this regard.

Thank you.

Indradri Basu commented Apr 11 '13, 12:35 p.m.

Hi Jyothi,
The error suggests the user doesn't have permissions to perform save work item operation. The permissions are based on roles. Check what role you have given to the non-admin user and then from the Web UI, go to project area> permissions> Team configuration and select the role to validate if the user has proper permissions. The developer license should be sufficient.
If this still doesn't resolve, then you should probably provide some more information on what your code is trying to do.

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 12 '13, 12:57 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I agree here. The users with admin repository role can do some operations by overriding the permission denied by the process, just because they have admin repository permission. Normal members can not do that. See https://jazz.net/library/article/291 for how that works.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.