It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Work Item Owner Notification On Create

Thomas Loeber (62237950) | asked Jan 24 '13, 7:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 24 '13, 7:02 a.m.
When a work item is first opened with an owner assigned, why doesn't that owner get an email notification that a new work item has been opened and assigned to him/her? We are on 3.0.1.

4 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 24 '13, 7:47 a.m.
Altho the users Mail configuration has a flag that seems to indicate the 'owner' of a workitem will get mail on workitem creates, it does not happen.
I do not know if this  is a bug (mail notification code) or a design error (UI should not offer this feature)

still works this way on 4.0.1

mail config options

permanent link
Thomas Loeber (62237950) | answered Jan 24 '13, 8:07 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks Sam. I noticed that Mail Configuration option as well.  I was hoping it was a problem with our server setup and it could be remedied. 
I'm hoping someone from the Work Item development team will chime in here with some comments, like "yes this is an issue recorded in a work item"  . 
Any suggestions on how to circumvent this via some other method? How do other teams make owners of new work items aware of new work?

permanent link
Scott Crouch (48532426) | answered Jan 24 '13, 8:34 a.m.
Is the owner a member of the Team Area owning the work item? At one point we observed some behavior where an email would not be sent if the person is not on that team/project area. 

Comments
Thomas Loeber commented Jan 24 '13, 8:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes. The owner is a member of the team associated with the filed against category. 

permanent link
Thomas Loeber (62237950) | answered Jan 24 '13, 8:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Well it seems I was mistakenly given some bad information which prompted this forum post to begin with. The user on the team in question does actually get an email on create when the owner is assigned. This has been answered (shouldn't have been asked).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.