IBM Rational Synergy for Rational Team Concert Synchronizer
Neeraja Vishwanathapura, IBM
Last updated: March 28, 2014
Build basis: Rational Team Concert 4.0.5
Rational Synergy users can now migrate to Rational Team Concert (RTC) and migrate their source code data to RTC. This articles talks about the Rational Synergy for Rational Team Concert Synchronizer and who should use this integration. It also talks about some of the benefits, best practices, workarounds and limitations of the RTC Synchronizer integration.
The Rational Synergy for Rational Team Concert Synchronizer uses a bidirectional Synchronized Stream to import data from Rational Synergy and export data to Rational Team Concert and vice versa. It enables synchronization of selected files and folders between both environments, so that development teams can work in both tools.
This integration is configured entirely within the Rational Team Concert Eclipse client.
1. It provides the UI capabilities for the below operations.
- Configuring RTC Synchronized Stream & component
- Stream administration
- Conflict resolution through Merge Workspace
2. The Synchronizer specific behaviors are:
- Map a Prep project hierarchy from Rational Synergy to a stream in RTC & vice versa
- Sync will be administered by an Admin / Build Manager & will run in the background
- In the event that conflicting changes are made, conflicts must be resolved using the Team Concert interface
Where to get this integration?
This integration is bundled and posted along with Rational Synergy 7.2.1. Click here to download.
Refer to the Installation instructions for installing the integration. Once the integration is installed, you can refer to the product help to know more about this integration.
Who should use this integration?
If you were using Rational Synergy for configuration and version management and you want to move to RTC in a phased manner you can use this integration. You can migrate a few developers to RTC at a time. The developers who migrate to RTC can work seamlessly with the source code while the other developers use Synergy.
This integration should be used during the transition period from Rational Synergy to RTC till all the developers are moved to RTC.
Benefits of using the Synergy RTC Synchronizer integration during the migration phase to RTC
- It lets users work in a heterogeneous SCM environment until all the users are migrated to RTC. Supports co-existence and migration scenarios between Synergy and RTC. Example: One team uses RTC SCM while another team uses Synergy as the SCM
- It maps the integration & test project hierarchy from Synergy to a component in RTC and vice versa.
- No metadata is exchanged during synchronization.
- It is not a developer tool. Once configured by Admin / Build Manager, it can be scheduled to run in the background.
- Configuration is made easy using wizards.
- Detailed Synchronization logs are available which makes it easy to troubleshoot if any error occurs during synchronization.
Below are some of the best practices to be followed while using this integration to get optimal performance, to avoid any conflict and for smoother behavior.
- Synergy databases must not be DCM-initialized after starting synchronization with Rational Team Concert. If you want to use DCM in Synergy, initialize your database before synchronizing.
- After a synchronization stream has been created in RTC for a Synergy project, do not modify the project name in Synergy or vice versa.
- Do not use Synergy-restricted characters as file names within RTC . For a list of restricted characters in Synergy, refer to http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21326060
- To avoid synchronization process virtual memory limitations, it is best to initially select synchronization roots such that each root has no more than 50,000 files below it. After these roots have been successfully imported, then you can select a parent synchronization root that is located above all of the initial synchronization roots. After that parent has been imported, the children synchronization roots can be removed from the list of synchronization roots for that synchronized stream.
- If you modify any of the synchronization stream properties, restart the build system for the changes to take effect.
Workarounds to some issues you might encounter:
Below are some of the workarounds for some of the issues you might encounter while working with this integration.
- The Synergy Synchronized Streams view can sometimes report a synchronization success or a blocked synchronization before the Build Results have been updated. To work around this problem, right-click the stream and click Latest Synchronization Details. Refresh the build Summary page to update the synchronization status.
- Most synchronization failures or blocks occur because process controls in one repository reject a change made in the other repository. The message in the log from Rational?? Synergy ( if Rational Synergy rejected the change) or Rational Team Concert??? process (if Rational Team Concert rejected the change) tells you what went wrong. Fix the problem, and run the synchronize operation again.
- Synchronization blocks can also be caused by network errors (failure to contact one repository or another), permissions errors (the synchronization process Jazz??? account does not have sufficient rights in the Jazz repository, or the synchronization process itself is running with credentials that do not allow access to the specified Rational Synergy stream), or both. The details of the error messages are different for different cases. Fix the problem, and then run the synchronize operation again.
- When you change the Jazz Provider Properties of a Synergy Synchronized Stream, you might see a Save workspace failed message in the Team Advisor view. You can ignore the message.
Some of the limitations with this integration
- The RTC-Synergy Synchronizer does not work with 64-bit JDK.
- Synchronization might not work with older snapshots.
- Rational Team Concert does not have the ability to reuse the same file in multiple components. If you have used a file in more than one Synergy project and you synchronize that project to Team Concert, the reused files will be treated as separate and distinct files in Team Concert.
Further References:Rational Synergy for Rational Team Concert Interface, Version 1.2 - Readme
About the author
Neeraja Vishwanathapura is a senior developer for IBM and works in the development team of Rational Team Concert and Rational Synergy for RTC products. She can be contacted at email@example.com.
Copyright © 2014 IBM Corporation