It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Integration scenario with Build Forge and RTC

Bruno Costa (1122) | asked Mar 07 '12, 2:49 p.m.
Hi,

Me and my team are integrating Build Forge with Rational Team Concert. At first, we conceived
a solution where Build Forge would query RTC from time to time to check if there are pending changes
to build. However, all of the documentation I have found about the subject describe the integration
the other way, with RTC querying Build Forge.
My question is: Is it possible make Build Forge access/query RTC? If so, is there any
documentation about it?

And, if both ways are possible (Build Forge acessing RTC and the other way around) are there any criteria that I could be based on to
define which of these two solutions is the best in our case?

In our scenario, RTC will use work items to register build / deploy requests, that should be executed during specific time
frame

I have read the following articles on Jazz:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/offers/lp/demos/summary/r-rbfrtc.html#download

https://jazz.net/library/article/640

https://jazz.net/library/article/607

The software versions are:
Build Forge 7.0.2
Rational Team Concert 3.0.1

Thanks,
Bruno

6 answers

permanent link
Spencer Murata (2.3k115971) | answered Mar 08 '12, 8:20 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It is possible to set up continuous integration with RTC SCM from Build Forge, there is an adaptor which will do just that called JazzSCM. However the second part about the work items putting requests into a queue, doesn't sound like continuous integration. Can you give a little more detail on what the workflow would look like?

~Spencer

Hi,

Me and my team are integrating Build Forge with Rational Team Concert. At first, we conceived
a solution where Build Forge would query RTC from time to time to check if there are pending changes
to build. However, all of the documentation I have found about the subject describe the integration
the other way, with RTC querying Build Forge.
My question is: Is it possible make Build Forge access/query RTC? If so, is there any
documentation about it?

And, if both ways are possible (Build Forge acessing RTC and the other way around) are there any criteria that I could be based on to
define which of these two solutions is the best in our case?

In our scenario, RTC will use work items to register build / deploy requests, that should be executed during specific time
frame

I have read the following articles on Jazz:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/offers/lp/demos/summary/r-rbfrtc.html#download

https://jazz.net/library/article/640

https://jazz.net/library/article/607

The software versions are:
Build Forge 7.0.2
Rational Team Concert 3.0.1

Thanks,
Bruno

permanent link
Bruno Costa (1122) | answered Mar 08 '12, 12:54 p.m.
We were planning our workflow in a way that the BF search into RTC for work items and according with the properties from these work items, a job calls the dot command run and execute the respective project. I don't know if I was clear enough, but it's the main idea.

Thanks in advance

permanent link
Spencer Murata (2.3k115971) | answered Mar 08 '12, 1:51 p.m.
Ah, what you are describing is possible. You would have to create a custom adaptor in Build Forge that would run a script against RTC to check for new work items of the custom type you have set up.

So to sum up there is easy way out of the box to do what you are describing. There is an easy solution to set up continuous integration with the RTC SCM by using the JazzSCM adaptor, but if you want to track the builds via work items, you will need to get into custom adaptors and the RTC API.

~Spencer

We were planning our workflow in a way that the BF search into RTC for work items and according with the properties from these work items, a job calls the dot command run and execute the respective project. I don't know if I was clear enough, but it's the main idea.

Thanks in advance

permanent link
Bruno Costa (1122) | answered Mar 08 '12, 2:40 p.m.
Thanks a lot Spencer, your informations are very helpful.
Is this RTC API that you said the REST API or another?
Is it possible retrieve work items through a java or perl application?

Ah, what you are describing is possible. You would have to create a custom adaptor in Build Forge that would run a script against RTC to check for new work items of the custom type you have set up.

So to sum up there is easy way out of the box to do what you are describing. There is an easy solution to set up continuous integration with the RTC SCM by using the JazzSCM adaptor, but if you want to track the builds via work items, you will need to get into custom adaptors and the RTC API.

~Spencer

Thanks in advance

permanent link
Spencer Murata (2.3k115971) | answered Mar 08 '12, 3:02 p.m.
It should be possible with the REST API, but I don't really have an experience doing so with work items.

~Spencer

Thanks a lot Spencer, your informations are very helpful.
Is this RTC API that you said the REST API or another?
Is it possible retrieve work items through a java or perl application?

~Spencer

Thanks in advance

permanent link
Hussain Nooruddin (3111) | answered Mar 15 '12, 7:54 a.m.
I want to integrate the BF with RTC 3.0.1 on IBM system i.

Can any one guide me about this integration and installation. Do i need to setup the management console or the agent installation on IBM system i will work for me ?

Thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.