It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Installing or connecting VS2010 to RTC

mike smithson (622) | asked Feb 06 '12, 11:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
How do I enable source control/sharing between VS10 and RTC? I have the RTC-VisualStudio-Client-repo-3.0.1.2.zip download, VS2010 installed, and Jazz - Eclipse running. So far I found a reference to join a project once I get an email but that doesn't seem helpful. Is there a process or best practice to connect my Visual Studio environment to enable sharing the code with the team using RTC?

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 07 '12, 8:05 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Mike,

assuming you installed the visual studio client into Visual Studio using the installation manager this help topic http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.team.concert.dotnet.doc/topics/c_getting_started_with_jazz_source_control.html and the other help in this section should get you started.

Basically you have to connect to a project area, then you can share a solution and select RTC as SCM provider.

permanent link
mike smithson (622) | answered Feb 07 '12, 8:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
OK thanks. I guess my understanding is far to basic at this point. I've read through the material on the link and came up empty. For example under "Adding project to the repository" steps are to click Tools > Options > Source Control, select Jazz... There is nothing like this in my version of VS2010.

I realize these are basic steps but what does it mean to connect to a project area? Maybe you could direct me to a very basic link to understand how to install the VS client into Visual Studio? I was not able to find any instructions for this in the link or included in the client download.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 07 '12, 9:00 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Mike,

you should start in the Getting started of the download of your version: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/3.0.1.2?p=gettingStarted

There is a link that leads to the help on how to install the client.

You should start using the Web Installer https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/3.0.1.2/RTC-Web-Installer-Win-3.0.1.2.zip

Unzip it, start it, let it install IBM Installation Manager there should be an option to install the Visual Studio client too.

If you have Installation manager installed, you could unzip your zip to a folder and use the Menu in Installation Manager and point it to use the repository you unzipped. Once that is added you should have an option to install the VS client. I would however suggest to use the Web Installer. In this case you don't have to know anything about the Installation Manager.

Once the client is sucessfully installed you should see the menus in it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.