It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Re-using local workspaces

Danil Suits (81177) | asked Jun 30 '10, 6:16 p.m.
I'm still trying to understand load/unload/reload semantics, and the possibilities of multiple workspaces.

Using best practices, when (if ever) does it make sense to create a new Eclipse workspace, vs reloading repository workspaces?

One answer

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Jun 30 '10, 6:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'm still trying to understand load/unload/reload semantics, and the possibilities of multiple workspaces.

Using best practices, when (if ever) does it make sense to create a new Eclipse workspace, vs reloading repository workspaces?

Hi Danil

It is quite legitimate to have multiple Eclipse workspaces (and by implication, RTC local workspaces) on your machine. For example, if you want to switch between different sets of code, or even different versions of code (current work vs production), switching Eclipse workspaces would means that RTC does not have to download code from the server (from the corresponding repository workspace or from another stream) - the source code is already on your local disk.

You could also be a different user in a different Eclipse workspace at the same time (but I do that to show how multiple users interact with RTC on one laptop :-)

Yes, you can get something similar loading and unloading, logout/in, etc but generally another Eclipse workspace can be much quicker.

I am sure other people use mutliple Eclipse workspaces for other things too - I just picked two reasons I used them.

regards

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.