It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

where does the baseline of DNG get saved?

Krunal Gaoli (67869) | asked Sep 21 '17, 6:06 a.m.
retagged Jan 03 '18, 1:37 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

Hi Team,

I wanted to know the location of file or file where the baseline get stored.
Can anyone suggest?

Best Regards,
Krunal.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ulf Arne Bister (1.3k413) | answered Sep 25 '17, 4:08 a.m.

Krunal,

to save a baseline of DNG requirements in RTC for audit purposes I suggest:
- still try to convince the customer that DNG configuration management and a JRS report against LQE with configurations would fit their audit purposes much better
- failing that, export the appropriate JRS report to PDF and version it in RTC
- if not using local configuration management for DNG at all then you will not have baselines per se. You would then create a JRS or RPE report against e.g. the Data Warehouse at regular intervals and store those as files in RTC.

- Arne

Krunal Gaoli selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Ulf Arne Bister (1.3k413) | answered Sep 21 '17, 7:22 a.m.

Krunal,

all CLM artifacts such as work items, requirements, test cases, baselines are stored in tables of the underlying relational database (such as Oracle). They are only accessible via the services offered by CLM (via the jazz team server).
The notable exception to that rule are some indices that are file based. But even versioned files in RTC are stored properly in the database.

Let me ask back: what is your use case? What do you want to accomplish with the location of the baseline?

- Arne

Comments
Krunal Gaoli commented Sep 21 '17, 7:50 a.m.

Yes, sure 

My use case is that I wanted to move baseline of DNG from DNG to RTC SCM stream.

Can it be possible using REST API since every thing is stored in Databases.

Please suggest.

Best Regards,
Krunal. 

permanent link
Ulf Arne Bister (1.3k413) | answered Sep 21 '17, 8:31 a.m.

Krunal,

please read through the documentation for Global Configuration : https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.5/com.ibm.rational.gcapp.doc/topics/c_gcm_node_product.html.

I think there might be a fundamental misunderstanding underlying your question. Each app has their own local Configuration Management capability - not interchangeable. You cannot store a DNG baseline in another SCM system such as the one from RTC. Even though the generic term baseline is used for the same general type of objects, a DNG baseline and an RTC baseline are fundamentally different objects.

That said, Global Configuration has been introduced to capture the use case of "storing DNG baseline and RTC baseline together" - under the hood of a global stream / baseline.

Now there are other concepts out there, tools which simply declare everything (requirement, test case, source code, excel file) to be a "file" and store them accordingly. So far all the architectures which followed this path came crashing down at one point when put to the test of performance, scalability, security and advanced SCM concepts (i.e. metadata).

When using DNG and RTC, if you want to version everything then take what was built for purpose: Global Configuration.

- Arne

Comments
Krunal Gaoli commented Sep 21 '17, 1:17 p.m.

Hi Aren,

Whatever you described is absulately correct. It was a usecase given to me by client.
Same thing I have convey to him but the resion behind his use case it that he wanted to store every data as a copy in SCM and he don't wanted to go for Global configuration.

Even for Configuration management he is saying No.

Thanks for your advise and support.
Regards,
krunal.

Ulf Arne Bister commented Sep 22 '17, 3:48 a.m.

Ok, so the real question to your client would be:
Once he has that baseline of requirements in RTC what does he expect he will be able to do with it? Is this for reporting or audit purposes? In that case it actually might sense to write a script which would take a baseline UUID or URI as input and extract all the requirement UUIDs from it to write into a file and version that. Sort of like a BoM.

Is it so he can derive a new stream of requirements from that baseline? Is it to view the requirements attached to baseline in DNG? In that case there is no way around using the local configuration management of DNG which was explicitely built for that purpose.

You said the "reason behind the use case is to store every data as a copy in SCM" but what is the reason behind this reason? If you can give me a why I can give you a how :-)

Krunal Gaoli commented Sep 22 '17, 6:49 a.m.

Yes you are correct it is for the audit purpose as well as he can use it if tool gets failed sometime

Please give me how :)

Kind regards,
Krunal.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.