It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to Turn on Heading Numbers

Scott Ankrum (25313) | asked Feb 27 '17, 3:23 p.m.

I can get heading numbers to display if I export the module to a spreadsheet, turn on isHeading where I need it, then re-import into the same module.  But, is there an easier way?  There does not seem to be an isheading attribute that I can add to get it to display in the column listing of a module.  Nor do I see anything in the display of artifacts in a module related to level numbers or isHeading.  Having to export then import seems hokey.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Cliff Sadler (62616) | answered Feb 28 '17, 6:10 p.m.

Just thinking out loud, but in DOORS, all objects were part of a full time hierarchy, and if the object had a value in the heading attribute, then DOORS will automatically add the "heading number" (actually level) to the display.

In DNG, modules give a collection of Artifacts a "sense" of hierarchy, but it is forced on them in terms of parentId, order to display, and a single designator of Heading row or text row.  If isHeading is set, then DNG will apply some display of heading numbers, based on the other items mentioned to get it's level and position.  In other words, a backfill for us Classic users.  
The two architectures are contrary to each other, but you "can" represent a collection of objects in DOORS, and you "can" represent a document hierarchy in DNG.  Neither is intuitive or natural for the application.  Having said that, DNG is getting better (more transparent} at emulating Classic user expectations.  I look forward to 7.0.1
I am surprised if all you have to do is set isHeading in your export round trip, without worrying about parentId to get level info.

Scott Ankrum selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Scott Ankrum commented Mar 02 '17, 10:22 a.m.

Appologies.  Insufficient experimentation on my part. I see that creating new artifacts within a new module yields level numbers.I have found multiple ways of getting requirements loaded in a hierarchy, and I can always get level numbers on the Contents of the artifact. 

Scott Ankrum commented Mar 02 '17, 10:39 a.m.

My experimentation continues.  Sometimes I get level numbers when creating a new module, and sometimes I don't.  It might be based on the Project template.  Unless somebody knows definitely why this is so, I am not going to pursue the question.  If I get level numbers in the Contents when creating a module, great.  If I don't, I will export then import with isHeading where needed.

Philipp Waldinger commented Mar 24 '17, 10:19 a.m. | edited Mar 24 '17, 10:22 a.m.
[F]orced on them in terms of parentId, order to display, and a single designator of Heading row or text row.  If isHeading is set, then DNG will apply some display of heading numbers, based on the other items mentioned to get it's level and position.  In other words, a backfill for us Classic users.  

What do you mean by "backfill"? I dont know this word and all I found on the web about it doesnt make sense for me in the context you use it.

How are things you described here different form what DOORS 9.6 does? 
Isn't it almost the same approach there?

Cliff Sadler commented Mar 24 '17, 1:08 p.m.

"My experimentation continues.  Sometimes I get level numbers when creating a new module, and sometimes I don't. .........."

Scott, a thought here.  If you are importing from Word documents, it is likely that some of your documents have headings set up correctly and some do not.  I have seen hundreds of specs where the headings were nothing more than Normal style text, with the numbering and styling applied to them by the author.  DNG and DOORS for that matter, would not know those were supposed to be headings, and consequently makes them normal text rows.  Hope this sheds some light.

2 other answers

permanent link
Philipp Waldinger (1313) | answered Mar 24 '17, 10:16 a.m.
edited Mar 24 '17, 10:23 a.m.

I read through your question and Cliffs answer several times, but I dont get what exactly you try to achieve and how Cliffs answer solves your question.

If you wonder how you can define an artifact in a module in IBM Jazz RM 6.0.3 (and some earlier versions) as heading (so that it is taken into account into the calculation of heading and section numbers):

1. Perform a right click on the artifact you want to set as heading (or if it already is a heading, make it a normal artifact again) and select "Set as Heading or Content" and then "More Options".
    Select "More Options".

2. In the bottom section of the dialog which opens, you can select the artifact to be a heading or a text artifact:
    Select the artifact type.
Cliff already mentioned this in his answer:
 [A] single designator of Heading row or text row.

permanent link
Scott Ankrum (25313) | answered Mar 24 '17, 11:37 a.m.
 For Phillip:
My original question concerned importing from a MS Word document.  Your screen image is more than a little confusing.  It looks like you are setting level numbers to each artifact one at a time.  I'll have to study that screen image to see exactly what you are doing.

Comments
Philipp Waldinger commented Mar 24 '17, 11:41 a.m.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing here.

if you only consider your questions title, the text you provided to describe it and the tags you used, one can think that you only want to define whether an artifact should be a heading or not.

I also dont see any reference to a MS Word document in your question.
But thank you for the explanation, this makes it more clear for me.

Scott Ankrum commented Mar 24 '17, 11:43 a.m.
Checked my work again.  I see that the actions Phillip suggest is changing the artifact type.  That is not what I am trying to do.  I just want level numbers to appear without changing the artifact type.  I have found two ways to do that. Both require an import.
1) in a MS Word document, set every entry to some heading level, then import.
OR
2) in a spread sheet, set parentBinding in each child to to point to its parent ID, and set isHeading on every entry, then import

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.